Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/7/2015 2:10:11 PM EDT
Found that both my 5.45 ARs lately have been having light strikes shooting 5.45, I'm assuming my heavy hammer springs are starting to lose some tension.   Looking at replacing them with Giesselles, but wanted to know if the cheaper line, the G2S will also reliably fire surplus as I hear the SSA trigger does?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine work well with 7n6.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't a lot of people running 5.45 pick up a slightly longer firing pin? Or do you already have one?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Both my SSA and SD-C were 100% on my 5.45.  I think the G2S is a very safe bet.  GI firing pin here, works great!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Found that both my 5.45 ARs lately have been having light strikes shooting 5.45, I'm assuming my heavy hammer springs are starting to lose some tension.   Looking at replacing them with Giesselles, but wanted to know if the cheaper line, the G2S will also reliably fire surplus as I hear the SSA trigger does?
View Quote

I think it may be a bad lot of 5.45; I have a G2S in my M&P15R and it was 100 percent reliable until I opened a new spam can, now quite a few dead primers.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't a lot of people running 5.45 pick up a slightly longer firing pin? Or do you already have one?
View Quote

A "longer firing pin" sounds dangerous.  What most 5.45 upper makers suggest is a "heavy hammer spring."  It's because those Commie corrosive primers have very hard cups and you really need to hit 'em hard.  A longer firing pin won't do that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

A "longer firing pin" sounds dangerous.  What most 5.45 upper makers suggest is a "heavy hammer spring."  It's because those Commie corrosive primers have very hard cups and you really need to hit 'em hard.  A longer firing pin won't do that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

An extended firing pin is fairly common in 7.62x39 builds. They are only .010 longer, before they were available it was common to shave the tail of the bolt to allow more protrusion.

If you are having light strikes I would recommend both the extended firing pin and an extra power hammer spring.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Start with all milspec and then move up the ladder.  Enhanced firing pin next because it does not have an effect on your trigger pull.  Lots of AR 7.63/5.45x39 BCGs are sold with the enhanced firing pin included.  Lastly the increased power hammer spring.

Geissele trigger groups are advertised as being able to ignite the Russian primers.  My ALGs work fine with the enhanced firing pins and no increased power hammer springs.

If you notice, some of the Russian/steel ammo has primers that are set deep and no amount of hammer spring pressure will ignite the primmer.  The firing pin collar will stop any further forward travel, so the enhanced firing pin precludes this problem.

I recommend to stay away from the extra power spring, but some builds you can't.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I just learned something.  As I'd noted, the 5.45 upper makers all mention (and often supply) the stronger hammer spring, but never a longer firing pin.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#9]
The biggest problem with foreign 5.45x39 is that it is made all over the place when looking at charge weights and consistency in the components.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think it may be a bad lot of 5.45; I have a G2S in my M&P15R and it was 100 percent reliable until I opened a new spam can, now quite a few dead primers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what are the markings on your tin?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't have the can anymore, just the paper wrapped cartridges
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top