Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2004 11:54:42 PM EDT
Alright, I've got the chrome good and polished in my custom Varminter.  Now I want to get serious about accuracy.  The first thing, is I would like to decopper the barrel.  How do I do with with Sweet 7.62 (AMMONIA) without damaging the chrome?

IIRC.  Run a few Hoppes (or whatever carbon/lead solvent) to get the other crud out.  A couple dry patches.  Then just a couple with copper solvent, let set only a few moments (maybe 30 seconds?  Longer??) then quickly run patches with rubbing alcohol down the barrel to neutralize the ammonia?  After getting the barrel good and soaking with the rubbing alcohol, hoppe's again, then lube everything.  Is this correct?

Gundraw

P.S.  As you can tell, I'm pretty paranoid about messing that chrome lining up.  I want to make sure I do this exactly right.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#1]
You can let Sweets sit longer, at least 10-15 minutes.  Also, do not apply with a brass brush, otherwise you'll keep getting blue patches until you bore brush completely dissolves -- I use a loop jag and just mop the Sweets on.  I don't find that a tight fitting patch is advantageous, I'd rather put a thick coat on and let the chemical do the work.  Also, I don't bother with alcohol, I just dry patch out and follow up with a CLP when done, or another thick coat of Sweets if I want to go another round.  As far as I can tell, I've never got any pitting in either of my barrels (one chrome-lined, the other CM) going this route.  Not saying that the alcohol isn't a bad thing, just that I think it's overkill.  Others might disagree.  Just pick a plan that works for you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Gundraw,

Relax about the Sweets and the damage concerns.
The issue is much overblown and hyped!!!!

Clean the bore as you would normally to get out the carbon fouling.

Then run one or two patches of Alcohol and a couple of dry patches to neutralize the solvent.

Then run one or two patches of sweets and let sit for 10-15 Min.

Use a couple of dry patches to remove the oxidized copper.

Then another patch or two of sweets. Wait 10-15 Min.
Followed by another couple of dry patches.
If they come out blue, repeat.

When the patches come out without the blue on them, run a couple more dry patches, and then a couple of patches wet with the alcohol to neutralize the Sweets.
Done.

In a chrome bore, you should only have to run the sweets every 6-800 rounds or so as the Copper fouling is so greatly reduced in the chrome bore.

Have yet to see ANY damage done by Sweets in a chrome bore, and have run the stuff for years on a rather large number of rifles for a living.

The reactivity of Sweets(And shooters choice) with other solvents however is documented.

The Alcohol assures no reactive issues.
It also assures that the sweets dosn't get time to actually do some harm once cleaned.

For reassurance on the Sweets in a chrome bore.....

A couple of years back while in the process of scrubbing a rifle on quarterly schedule, I was called away to a minor contingency, and left Sweets in the bore of the upper that was locked into the bench Vice.

a little more than 2 hours later I got back to the thing, punched out the blue stuff, neutralized, and ran the bore scope.
No etching, no discoloration, no measureable wear or indication of degregation of dimension.
That rifle now has close to 8,000 rounds through it, and it shows nothing but normal wear.

The Sweets solvent needs to be respected, but do not fear the stuff.
It is MUCH more forgiving than many folks would have you believe.

Best of luck!
S-28

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, I see what you mean.  However, when I see, "ruin your barrel" and "don't leave it in too long", naturally, I tend to get a little anxious.  I'm sure you are correct though.  In fact, if I remember correctly, I think in Bushmaster's FAQ they specifically stated that Sweet's DOESN"T hurt the chrome lining.

However, S-28, i didn't know that about it's reactance with other solvents.  That's a great idea to swab with alcohol JUST IN CASE.  

Yes, the chrome does cut down on copper fouling, it's just that these are the INITIAL 600 rnds or so to "polish the chrome", and it's all been FMJ, so I figured it probably wouldn't hurt to get some of it out before I get serious with my reloading/target shooting.

Thanks again,

Gundraw
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice thread and info! I just learned a bunch! Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice thread, I just learned a bunch! Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Good post S-28. People get real nervous about ruining their new 'Evil Black Rifles'.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Pump,

Beautiful and evil  often share the same clothing.

The intent is what is at the heart of the matter.

For the other side, yes, in fact, they are "Evil".

There is just something sexy about an Evil Vampiress that is on your side!

God help me!
S-28
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top