Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/5/2003 6:59:00 AM EDT
I'm planning my first build and would like some advice on which kits and receiver to buy. I'm leaning towards Model 1 sales and a receiver from FAC. I'm picking them because they are the only vendors I know of right now.

Any suggestions on type of receiver and vendors?

Thanks for all your help.

Bonk
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:24:31 AM EDT
model 1 is pretty good i just ordered a bolt and charging handle from them fast shipping, good product. might want to look at jt as well, ive ordered a few parts kits from them. always had great service and product with them as well.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 9:19:26 AM EDT
There's an ad in the Equpment Exchange for RockRiverArms forged lower receivers going for $99 at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 9:49:54 AM EDT
quantico arms sells Eagle stripped lowers for $100, IF they have them in stock. Check their website. Also, do a search for the word "mega"; the stinger uppers are supposed to be very nice, and you can get them for $89 shipped IIRC. As for the kits, you can try M&A and J&T as well as model 1. Model 1 seems ok, but the charging handle that came with my kit was a cheap, nasty, gritty abomination. I used a spare one I had laying around instead of the one that came in the kit. Other than that, the pieces went together fine, although the pins were much tighter than my Armalite parts kit. From what I hear, the people who have both say the J&T kits are much nicer in terms of fit/finish, but they're about $50 for the same thing. I have no experience with M&A, but they're supposed to be good too. Your first step is to set your budget; then you need to decide what kind of rifle you want: A2 or flat top, 16", 20", or 24"; brake, no brake, float tube, no float tube, etc. Work all this out before you start buying stuff. There are a myriad of choices when building an AR, and you'll give yourelf a headache if you don't have an idea of what you want before hand. Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 9:56:47 AM EDT
i have heard both good and bad reviews of the FAC reciever but IMHO id be safe and go with one the the recievers that are known for quailty. the RRA is good but i went with an eagle arms lower made by armalite from quantico arms for $100 and im very pleased with it. there are lots more kit vendors out there right now than just model1. i think J&T seems to be the most popular right now. i bought my lower parts kit from them and its done well. take a look at the industry board here. and the EE
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 11:14:18 AM EDT
Thanks for all the advice and input. I'll look around and see what's out there before I start buying.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 11:21:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/5/2003 11:22:16 AM EDT by slidestop]
Hey Bonk Welcome to the site [wave] Good idea on looking around before you buy. Take your time on the purchase of your new weapon. There's plenty of great information on this site to help you . Good Luck SaFe ShOoTiNg Jerry [):)]
Top Top