Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/14/2010 3:30:40 PM EDT
Okay, I want to build an AR from the ground up, in 7.62x39 using an MGI modular lower (potentially with multiple uppers). Heres the catch. Because of the power hungry bureaucrats at BATFE, I can't legally receive an AR lower because I'm 19. If I supplied my FFL with a completed upper assembly and buttstock assembly, and he ordered the MGI lower, would he be able to transfer the assembled mess to me as a long arm?? Thanks guys
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
don't believe so from a legal stand point.

but i could be wrong.

If i was you i would either have one of your parents buy it and put it in their name... or buy it privately i.e. NOT through an FFL (assuming that is legal in your state) or just wait until you are 21 or whatever the legal age is... just use the time to save money for the build.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Just ask nicely to have him do the paperwork as a rifle. I'm not up on the new form, but they used to all be transferred as rifles unless you specifically asked to have it done as a pistol. Or you could just put the butstock on it prior to purchase. That would make it a rifle.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Just ask nicely to have him do the paperwork as a rifle. I'm not up on the new form, but they used to all be transferred as rifles unless you specifically asked to have it done as a pistol. Or you could just put the butstock on it prior to purchase. That would make it a rifle.

Lowers cannot be transferred as pistols or rifles anymore.  Has to be other, doesn't matter if it's stripped or complete, without a barrel attached it's an "other".  That is regardless of whether or not it has a stock attached.

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#4]
What does "other" mean, legally?
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Lowers cannot be transferred as pistols or rifles anymore.  Has to be other, doesn't matter if it's stripped or complete, without a barrel attached it's an "other".  That is regardless of whether or not it has a stock attached.

Ah, good to know. Thanks. I bought a 6-pack years ago and haven't needed any for a while.

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#6]
It needs to go to a licensed Manufacturer (FFL 07) and not just a dealer (FFL 01).  They can legally assemble it into a complete rifle and transfer to you.  They will have to charge excise tax since they are making a complete firearm.  Obviously you'll need to arrange this ahead of time to find a licensed manufacturer in your state.  There are likely more than you would think since many gunsmiths, refinishing outfits, etc all had to be 07 FFLs due to changes in ATF regulations.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Complete MGI guns are available.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#8]
wow, glad i don't have to deal with all that crap here in georgia.  you just buy one, they list it as a rifle, and thats all there is to it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What does "other" mean, legally?

Not a handgun and not a long gun. Pistol grip shotguns and receivers are the two most common that fall into the category. A semi-auto 1919 would be another.
Quoted:

wow, glad i don't have to deal with all that crap here in georgia. you just buy one, they list it as a rifle, and thats all there is to it.

Yes you do. That's federal, not state. If your dealer isn't marking lowers down as "other" then he's wrong.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#10]
At what point does this "other" receiver become a rifle or pistol?
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#11]
When it is assembled as such.

Brad
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#12]
It was not your question, but to use the MGI lower with the AK mag well you either need to use an MGI upper and bolt carrier or have your 7.62x39 upper and bolt carrier machined to clear the top of the AK magazine. Some brands of uppers get dangerously thin when machined this way.

If you are not planning to take advantage of the modular mag well I see no reason to spend the extra coin on the MGI lower.

Also be aware on the MGI AK mag well that it works fine with steel Eastern Block mags but the plastic Bulgarian mags are a little longer front to back and will not fit.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top