Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2006 5:57:26 PM EDT
I'm looking for opinions from owners of midlengths to wether or not I should have it Govt profiled, or just leave it HBar. Does the HBar throw off the balance of the rifle? How much weight savings will I get?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a gov't. profile.  It balances much better and will be just as accurate.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a CMMG medium contour model.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1 you will notice the difference
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Dont know the right answer to this but when I do my mid length I am going to use one of Dennys recon barrels. I think they look awesome, and the specs are there too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]
depends on what you like
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 you will notice the difference

+2

the HBAR was a heavy biatch--too much weight up front
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Get one.

I love mine.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I want one.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I went with Denny's Guns (Global Tactical) Operator medium contour profile barrel.

I replaced my Colt 6721 HBAR CAR barrel with it and it feels much lighter now.

The reason I picked the medium contour is because I wanted to have a barrel which could take more heat but lighter than a HBAR.

You could try the different profiles for yourself maybe at your dealer and pick which one you like better.

My rig's picture is shown on page 1 of this thread.

The OPERATOR Barrel thread link
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the medium contour better myself. I find it handles a little better without being too heavy. Of course, different manufacturers have different concepts of what a "medium contour" is, so it can vary from place to place.

If your choices are HBAR or Gov't Profile, I'd go with Gov't.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I had one hbar, and one contoured.  I sold the hbar...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#12]
The medium definately balances better, but the HBar on a 16" isn't that heavy....weighs about as much as a 20" gov't profile.  I don't mind my 16" HBar at all.  If I had to lug it around for a day maybe, but I've got my GTS Recon for that

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#13]
OK...I see the medium contour ones you guys are talking about on CMMGs website.  I may go that route if it seems to be better than Govt profile. The price is the same.

So many options! It makes me dizzy sometimes!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The medium definately balances better, but the HBar on a 16" isn't that heavy....weighs about as much as a 20" gov't profile.  I don't mind my 16" HBar at all.  If I had to lug it around for a day maybe, but I've got my GTS Recon for thathr

I was always of the mind that unless it affected balance significantly that I would get used to it and never miss a bit in the field....if carried weight was a problem I could skip the beer night at NCO Club and lose a couple pounds off my big tail and cover the HBAR...LOLh.gif
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The medium definately balances better, but the HBar on a 16" isn't that heavy....weighs about as much as a 20" gov't profile.  I don't mind my 16" HBar at all.  If I had to lug it around for a day maybe, but I've got my GTS Recon for that

I was always of the mind that unless it affected balance significantly that I would get used to it and never miss a bit in the field....if carried weight was a problem I could skip the beer night at NCO Club and lose a couple pounds off my big tail and cover the HBAR...LOL

lol can't argue with that logic!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got a heavy barrel middy.  I love it.  But if I was to do it again I would go with something lighter and a little better balanced.  If my tax return is high enough I might even send it to ADCO for a reprofiling, but I should probably buy ammo instead.    
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I went with a Govt. profile with my mid-length barrel.  It's not so much the weight of the barrel I'm concerned about but rather the TOTAL weight and balance once I have optics, weapon light and loaded mag.

I'm no weakling but I fight better with a lighter, better balanced weapon.

Believe it or not the weight saved makes a big difference when you're shooting all day and constantly mounting the gun from low ready time and time again.  Not to mention one handed shooting drills and reloading while keeping the gun mounted is easier too.

It basically comes down to how you will be using your carbine, pick the best profile for the job...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I got a Sabre govt profile midlength and I'm glad I did. When I added the quad rail forend the sumb*tch is heavy. An HBar would be a real pain to lift.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#19]
 Both my midlength rifles have RRA heavy barrels on em. No big deal to me. To each their own - but its a matter of ounces - you aren't humping an M249 with 800 rnds for christsakes. Only real reason I see a possible need for a lightweight or government profile barrel is if you are kicking in doors or humping all your gear through the woods. Even then, weight is nominal.

To each their own. Short, light and compact is most important for *some* applications - but a medium weigh AR15 is just fine for most uses.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Get a CMMG medium contour model.

That's what I did, best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey, thanks for posting this question! I've been wondering something similar. I too, am going with a midlength and have decided on a gov't bbl I think.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top