Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/15/2005 1:08:32 PM EST
I have a Bushy M4 A3. Went to the range the other day and have to say that this is the first time since last summer I got a chance to shoot. Usually before I put a gun away for the winter, I clean and oil it really well. Well when I took it out of the case, it looked pretty dry inside. I didnt get bothered by it since I figured, its an AR, it can take insane abuse and I didnt consider shooting it in that configuration really abusive. Well anywho, first 3 magazines went fine, no problems. Last 4 magazines, I was having failure to extracts and failure to feeds every other shot. I wondered if this was because of how dry the interior parts were (maybe not oiled enough to function?). But this cant be right?

I mean the gun was clean, I am using brand spankin new magazines from Bushmaster so what could it be? This gun probably has a total of 750 rounds thru it, so I dont even consider its cherry popped yet. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:15:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2005 1:15:46 PM EST by ar15bubba]
what ammo?

Loose gas key?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:19:53 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:20:40 PM EST
Since it was dry I'd say that oiling it is the first thing to try. If it still doesn't run right after getting lubed up a little then it's time to start looking for any real problems.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:21:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By ar15bubba:
what ammo?

Loose gas key?

That I couldnt tell you. The ammo was a gift from a friend. It DID say 5.56 NATO on the bottom and if I remember correctly he said it was European surplus???

How would I know if the gas key is loose?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:22:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
Try posting this in the troubleshooting forum. Give more detail.

Sorry , I know its the wrong forum. What more details would you like?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:23:57 PM EST

Originally Posted By Jivana108:

what ammo?

Loose gas key?

That I couldnt tell you. The ammo was a gift from a friend. It DID say 5.56 NATO on the bottom and if I remember correctly he said it was European surplus???

Take the carrier out of the upper and see if you can move the gas key with your fingers. You'll know right away if it's loose.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:28:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By M4arc:

Originally Posted By Jivana108:

what ammo?

Loose gas key?

Take the carrier out of the upper and see if you can move the gas key with your fingers. You'll know right away if it's loose.

Is the gas key the part that is screwed on top of the Bolt Carrier? If so, then that sucker is on there tight as hell. No movement whatsoever.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:41:16 PM EST
BTT

Sorry fellas, I gotta go for the night, any thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated. I will be back tomorrow to respond to anything I missed....

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 1:08:06 PM EST
Well I followed the advice and posted this in the troubleshooting forum, and didnt recieve any response whatsoever, so im bringing this bad boy back to the top..... any help would be much appreciated....
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 1:19:59 PM EST
I had a DPMS upper with 5.56 chamber that was having FTEs quite regularly using XM193.

Gunsmith friend recommended the following:

- attach a brand new chamber brush to electric drill
- insert chamber brush into chamber
- activate drill

He advised caution about doing this for too long and against moving the chamber brush much while the drill was activated, but said that this would smooth out the walls of the chamber some.

It worked and that DPMS did not have an FTE after that.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 2:13:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2005 2:18:25 PM EST by A96HondaAccordEX]
Failure to feeds are usually mag related. Have you tried any of your "proven" magazines yet?

Are you having FTE, which leads to FTF? Or will FTF happen on it's own.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:52:32 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:17:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By A96HondaAccordEX:
Failure to feeds are usually mag related. Have you tried any of your "proven" magazines yet?

Are you having FTE, which leads to FTF? Or will FTF happen on it's own.

Failure to extracts which lead to the FTF! Thats exactly whats happening.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:30:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/17/2005 5:35:35 AM EST by StealthyBlagga]
Two areas worth investigating:

1) Could be inadequate gas, causing the fired case to be only partially extracted then pushed back into the chamber. This could happen if the "5.56 European Surplus" was Radway Green ammo, which is know to be somewhat underpowered, coupled with inadequate lube on the bolt/bolt-carrier. Test this as follows: (a) place one round into the magazine, insert in the rifle and then cycle the round into the chamber. (b) fire the round; does the action lock open ? If so, you probably have adequate gas.

2) Weak extractor. Try putting a #60 o-ring under the extractor and see if this solves the problem.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:04:41 AM EST
Tells us exactly what is happening. Is the fired case getting extracted from the chamber but fails to get thrown clear thru the ejection port, jamming up the action when the carrier strips a fresh round? If so, then I'd say you should try the o-ring. If it still happens replace the extractor spring, perhaps with an extra strength spring (and use the o-ring with the new spring also).

Or, does the case stay stuck in the chamber with the rim ripped off? This would be overfunction, in which case you need to add mass and force to your recoil system to slow it down. You can do this by using an extra strength recoil spring, an H or 9mm buffer, and a m16 bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:13:02 AM EST
Short-stroking???
Top Top