Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/22/2003 1:20:48 PM EDT
I just purchased 1 box of new and 1 box of remanufactured BH ammunition from Georgia Precision.  I opened them up and found that many (but not all) of the open-tips were clogged with something that appeared to be dirt.  What gives?  Is this common?  TIA.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I think what you are describing is a tumbling media that the bullet manufacturer uses to polish the bullets. I load 168 gr. MatchKings in my .308, and I have seen some with light colored stuff in the hollow cavity of the bullet. It kind of looks like finely ground corn cob media. There was also a small amount of the stuff in the bottom of the box that the bullets came from. The bullets with the stuff in the cavity shot just as well as ones with nothing in them. I wouldn't worry about it, as it is quite common.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmmmmm.......I always wondered if the loose corn cob media stuck in the cavity would effect external or terminal ballistics?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw the same thing in the 68, 75 and 77 grain bullets also.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Very common with Black Hills hollowpoint .223 in any weight.

Dont sweat it.  Doesnt affect a thing.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#5]
It won't upset the terminal ballistics at all because the hollow point cavity has nothing to do with the fragmentation of these match bullets to start with. They fragment once they yaw sideways and the force exerted on the bullet causes the jacket to fail....allowing the bullet to fragment.

-CH
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:05:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#8]
What benefit could stand to be gained by tumbling loaded ammo?

Simply to remove any left over case lube from sizing/loading?

Seems like there is a fairly decent risk that would come from tumbling loaded ammo and running the risk of a round somehow going off.   Not that a detonating round is [I]that[/I] dangerous but I'd rather not nuke my vibratory tumbler.  Also, what about running the risk of changing the powder burn rate characteristics by having the powder acting against itself as an abrasive and possibly damaging the coatings on the powder?

Everything I've seen has pointed towards tumbling of loaded ammo being a bad idea.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top