Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2015 4:19:08 PM EDT
Why do these magazine demand a premium over Gen 3 20rd magazines? I have some that I wouldn't mind selling, and I was just wondering why they are more expensive.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Some people think they look cool and some people will buy anything that 'they don't make anymore'.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]
No idea either, had a bunch of the Magpul gen 2 straight 20s and while I had no complaints I don't understand the premium they fetch, sold most of mine for more than I thought they were worth so hope they went to a good home. I'm just as good with straight 20 aluminum & steel mags.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Most people out there prefer the Gen 2 mags to the Gen 3s, in 20 or 30 round models. Most people also just didn't like curved 20 rounders. The straight 20 rounders are Gen 1 by the way.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#4]
One reason the MagPul straight 20's are popular is they are the most technologically advanced magazine that is service rifle competition legal.  The rules require that magazines be straight, so the superior slight curve 20's are illegal.  So a competitor's options are GI 20's, or PMag straight 20's - and that's about it.  I use PMag straight 20's, and find them to be excellent mags.

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Lazy, have you ever had problems with good g.i. 20s?

I've been using 'em for years, not hard like 30s, but I have never had a problem with 'em.  Even very old pre-ban ones that had some miles on 'em.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lazy, have you ever had problems with good g.i. 20s?

I've been using 'em for years, not hard like 30s, but I have never had a problem with 'em.  Even very old pre-ban ones that had some miles on 'em.  

View Quote

To be honest, not really, but I have seen others.  I was at a match a couple years ago, the guy I was scoring for asked me about my PMag 20, as they had just been made legal.  I mentioned all the PMag sales pitch, on why they are better than GI 20's.  He sort of shrugged, and then rolled into his rapid fire.  And JAM - a round nose-dived into the front wall of his GI 20.  It was realllly hard not to be a smug shit .  In truth, if he had better springs, it probably would have worked fine.  Most people use GI 20's and are happy.

I will say this - GI 20's allow about 0.005 longer OAL, than the PMag, which sounds silly, but I'd prefer it.  But the better follower and better round retention under recoil in my opinion just makes for a more reliable mag with the PMag.  Going to matter even more in 2016 as they are doing away with Alibis now (thank God).  That, and they look cooler.  To diverge a bit, what I do now is load 2 in GI, and 8 in PMag, so that it's impossible to F'up and grab the wrong mag.  Because yes, I've done them backwards before - at Camp Perry no less.  Bam Bam, drop mag.. insert fresh mag..  why is my bolt still closed....  SHIT, Bam Bam Bam,  reinsert dropped mag, finish string .  Technically, I could have been DQ'd for a hot reload, but my scorer didn't care as the panicked activity resulted in no competitive advantage.  (This is why I am on a one-man campaign to lobby the CMP to allow curved 20's, so I can use clear Lancers 20s!)

Link Posted: 10/30/2015 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Just out of curiosity why are the slight bent 20 round mags illegal in competition?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 12:04:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity why are the slight bent 20 round mags illegal in competition?

Thanks
View Quote

NRA and CMP rules for service rifle call for the rifle to have the external appearance of a GI service rifle.  So 20"BBL, standard A2 external appearance, including magazines.   The 1990's are over, so they are finally relaxing many of the rules going into 2016 (final rules not yet published), and it is possible that the silly straight magazines only rule, will go away.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:28:36 AM EDT
[#9]
what was wrong with Gen one Magpuls?  All of mine function just fine.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
what was wrong with Gen one Magpuls?  All of mine function just fine.

View Quote

Each revision has certain "improvements" according to Magpul.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top