Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/22/2009 9:46:46 PM EDT
Here is an idea that I have had for several years, I just never took the time to actually do it. So I figure I would share it with you all. Its simple enough, i'm surprised no one else has thought of it...well maybe they have but I missed it.

As some of you are aware that excess gas can make it to your nose or eyes causing tears or can make your cigar taste funny because you have been busy breathing burnt gun powder. To solve this problem that Eugene Stoner overlooked when designing the AR15, you can buy a PRI Gasbuster which is reportedly effective at mitigating the gas, these cost about $80.

On paper this looks like it would work well. Anyone want to give it a try? I dont do much shooting anymore, so I wouldn't be able to do a range report for some time. Considerations, dont make the hole to large or you will weaken it.

Its pretty self explanatory..

*modifications should be done by a competent gunsmith
*I'm not responsible for any damage to property or limb that this modification or process causes
*If you want to sell it...ya gotta ask me permission first. I will defend.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an extra second tier CH. I'll give it a go. Range report won't be until Feb though.

Since I use irons I figure that I can just become a lefty if something goes wrong
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 10:00:30 PM EDT
[#2]
That's an interesting approach.

Personally I've really never had a problem with this "gas in the face" issue, with any M16A2 or AR I've ever used.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you've come up with a good idea there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#4]
That's basically how the Gas Buster works, but with a couple of shallow vent channels instead of a hole (probably for strength). I did actually modify one of my spare GI charging handles to replicate the GasBuster channels, and added high-temperature RTV sealant too, both aimed at eliminating the spit back from my Ciener .22 kit... the modified charging handle works very well, but I'm not sure how much of a contribution comes from the vents as opposed to the RTV sealant.

For my serious guns, I prefer to spend the $$$ and get a real GasBuster. As well as greatly reducing the gas-in-face issue, it also seems like a much more stout design than the GI charging handle. I've had a GI charging handle break, so I am wary of them now.

Here are some photos of the CH I modified, along side an original GasBuster:

Link Posted: 1/22/2009 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#5]
nice work StealthyBlagga

one problem I can see though, is that you cut though a lot of anodizing, which may or may not weaken the part.  I dunno.

Link Posted: 1/23/2009 2:50:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Only had that gas issue with my 6.8 and that was once.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 2:58:54 AM EDT
[#7]
That red RTV trick works like a champ. Here are the instructions I used to do it if anybody is interested. Its really easy and cheap as well, plus you don't have to drill anything.
'
http://www.coloradoshooting.org/gas%20buster.htm
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 4:16:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 4:33:43 AM EDT
[#9]
my daddy once told me.
if you dont like the smell of gas, dont fart.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 4:52:25 AM EDT
[#10]
when you do put RTV on there, get BLACK. they sell it.

once it's on there don't lock the charge handle in, leave it out 1mm or so.
this will make it a tight fit once it has dried.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 5:36:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
nice work StealthyBlagga

one problem I can see though, is that you cut though a lot of anodizing, which may or may not weaken the part.  I dunno.

I don't know if the CH is weakened; the cuts are curved and pretty shallow. The anodizing does not do much to strengthen the aluminum, though it does provide a harder surface (not really needed, as these are not abrasion points). Aluminum does not corrode as the thin film of trasnsparent oxide stops further corrosion. In any case, I only use this CH for my .22 kit... I use a GasBuster when I go to 5.56.

Quoted:
when you do put RTV on there, get BLACK. they sell it.

once it's on there don't lock the charge handle in, leave it out 1mm or so.
this will make it a tight fit once it has dried.

I used the red RTV as its a high temperature variant available for cheap at WalMart (their black stuff is not high temp). Maybe the high temp is not needed, but it does no harm. In any case, I don't much care what the color is as I only use it on my .22 upper.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks
Alot
Gaspain

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#14]
good stuff
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:09:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I used the red RTV as its a high temperature variant available for cheap at WalMart (their black stuff is not high temp). Maybe the high temp is not needed, but it does no harm. In any case, I don't much care what the color is as I only use it on my .22 upper.

I checked Permatex's site and the red is good to 650*F and the black to 500*F.  

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers.htm
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#16]
What, the black ink from a sharpie won't stick to that red sealant?

This does give me some ideas though as I'm a leftie and the Gas Buster C.H. doesn't do me a damn bit of good.  I've got an extra forged C.H. and I've got a mini-mill in my garage.  I just might make a southpaw version of a Gas Buster out of one.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#17]
This would be useful for shooting suppressed which is hte onyl time that I have had issue with gas in the face.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#18]
anybody try this out yet?
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm going to take one of my Charging handles and chuck it up on an end mill and have a go at it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#20]
btt
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#21]
That's a great idea - assuming that it doesn't weaken the CH too much.

I've never broke a CH nor have I ever had gas blowback in my face, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Link Posted: 4/19/2009 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#22]
ok I finally did it!

here's my version. I admittedly screwed up, when drilling the bit got off course and blew out the bottom, so I just notched it out with a dremel. Its still plenty strong.

I cant provide a range report for some time...sorry.

Link Posted: 4/19/2009 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#23]
TAG
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll have to try that, nice idea.

What kind of paint you got going on there gas pain?  Looks nice
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Is KAC not doing this on the SASS?

Good idea anyways

Link Posted: 4/19/2009 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is KAC not doing this on the SASS?

Good idea anyways

http://www.knightarmco.com/images/sr25_3.jpg

well i'll be damned
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I did that years ago when the Gasbuster first came out. It does help a bit and since I am a lefty it was kind of needed. Plus, I was very cheap then and never liked to pay retail.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I did that years ago when the Gasbuster first came out. It does help a bit and since I am a lefty it was kind of needed. Plus, I was very cheap then and never liked to pay retail.

Same here, I did the mod explained here a few years ago when I got my first .223/5.56 suppressor and it works pretty good but I also used a RTV/gasket sealant on mine in conjunction with the hole...........It does work good.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks like I got a new project
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top