Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/18/2016 6:48:45 PM EDT
I'm beating hard on this sucker, and the head of the pin is starting to deform. It's still only halfway in. It's on a Ballistic Advantage lo-pro gas block and Ballistic Advantage gas tube, using the roll pin the tube came with. Is it supposed to be this hard?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Just use channel lock pliers.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#2]
did you lube it a little and use a roll pin punch?,I switched  to coiled roll pins along  time ago,sometimes  beveling them a bit and chase the hole in the gas block with a drill bit first by hand to clear out any burrs  in there,to me the hardest is lining it up and sinking it
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you sure the gas tube is inserted all the way and the holes are aligned.
I normally use a punch to ensure alignment before driving the roll pin.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Bevel pin, hold it with needle nose, and whack it
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That might be the issue. There are metal shavings in the bottom of the hole in the block where the tube goes in. I had to magnetize a punch several times to dig most of the shavings out. Perhaps there are still some in there causing a slight misalignment with the hole in the tube.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Just knocked the pin out. The inside of the pin is clogged with metal shavings.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Try blowing it out with a compressor or canned air.
You may need to clear the chips with a drill bit, just spin it in the hole with your fingers.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Finally got it. I wasn't expecting this to be the toughest part of building an AR.

http://imgur.com/a/t5tF2

I took the pin out, and the tube was fused into the gas block. I blew out the hole and scraped around in there as suggested. Then I tapped on the end of the tube with a plastic hammer to seat it in there as well as possible. The pin finally went in... enough.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Good job.
Next time, closely inspect the holes you are sticking stuff into.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#10]
lesson learned,do this on a lower if you assemble yourself ( chasing the holes) glad it worked  out for you
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do this followed by putting a couple of rubber bands around barrel and gas tube to freeze everything in place as I drive the pin in.
I bought a metric ton of stainless properly sized roll pins from McMaster-Carr and they are a one shot 100% success rate performer. No more bent, flowered pins needing being redone. Every single pin I ever got with a block or tube (even with bulk buys) have mostly been crap and get thrown into the recycle bin.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I do this followed by putting a couple of rubber bands around barrel and gas tube to freeze everything in place as I drive the pin in.
I bought a metric ton of stainless properly sized roll pins from McMaster-Carr and they are a one shot 100% success rate performer. No more bent, flowered pins needing being redone. Every single pin I ever got with a block or tube (even with bulk buys) have mostly been crap and get thrown into the recycle bin.
View Quote

Got a part number for those McMaster-Carr roll pins?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:39:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks all.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Got a part number for those McMaster-Carr roll pins?
View Quote

92373A120 in 18-8 stainless. $5.19 for 100.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top