Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2005 8:48:09 PM EDT
I have tried my best to get the darn thing out but it won't buge.  Any tips?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#1]
have you knocked the pin out yet?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL, yeah.  I read the guide on how to remove a barrel and it says to grip it with pliers and tap it with a hammer but it just won't move.  I lubed it up with clp and I'm going to let it sit over night.  Hopefully that will help.  If not do you have any other suggestions?  Any special tools to use, etc...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Use a cleaner, Nitro Solvent or whatever you use to clean your weapon and spray it down. Mine always seem to wiggle out
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Is CLP good enough or no?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I use pliers and twist the tube around while pulling the tube back into the upper

That seems to be working for me..
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, I'll try that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:52:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Even after soaking mine, I had to grab it with vice grips and tap them with a rubber mallet.  

From now on, when ever I buy barrell parts, I but an extra gas tube or two because they are so cheap.  I've never destroyed a gas tube but sooner or later I can envision crushing the gas tube while pulling it out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#8]
You guys have it all backwards.  Gas tubes don't get stuck so much as they are hard to grip so clamp the gas tube in the vice and pull on the upper.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I used a set of Sears RoboGrip pliers with the little rubber end caps, and it seemed to work pretty well, and didn't scrape up the tube.  I suppose if you wanted to spend an extra few dollars, you could buy one of these Gas Tube Wrench and it may help.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I got the tube removed but I scraped up the tube.  Will that affect how it functions?  If it was that difficult to remove how hard will it be to reinstall?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well, I got the tube removed but I scraped up the tube.  Will that affect how it functions?  If it was that difficult to remove how hard will it be to reinstall?  

Thanks.

Scrapes on the exterior shouldn't affect anything.  As long as there aren't any CRUSH wounds to the tube whereby gas flow can be affected, no problem.  I always end up scraping mine a bit when I've removed them.  JUST DON'T CRUSH THEM!!!!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top