Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/27/2009 4:55:45 AM EDT
how do I get this thing started into the hole ? came out easy enough got one in but would not go thru the other side now I cant get any of the 3 I have to get started again , any suggestions TIA
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:11:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Pinch one end a bit with a wire cutter or use a file to put a chamfer on the pin.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:56:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Roll Pin Punch
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:02:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Now is a good time to invest in an armorers tool kit. You need a 5/64 roll pin holder. Always put a few drops of oil on the pins before you try and reinstall them. I personally wouldn't take a file to my roll pins because of rust buts thats just me.

Tool Kit
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#4]
A pair of small needle nose pliers to hold it––-tap lightly to get it started––––then use a punch and harder blows after that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#5]
That little bugger (gonna be nice ) I finally learned to be very careful & knock it out only far enough to remove the gas tube so it is still in from one side. One thing I have learned when installing pins is to take the pin put it even with the end of a punch & put some electrical tape around the pin & punch that holds it to make it a one hand job.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#6]
people are funny when they try to build an AR without the right tools.They come up with all types of techniques to try and get the job done when investing in the right tools would be so much easier .The right tools save time too.
get a roll pin starter punch .That will make life easier.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
people are funny when they try to build an AR without the right tools.They come up with all types of techniques to try and get the job done when investing in the right tools would be so much easier .The right tools save time too.
get a roll pin starter punch .That will make life easier.

Or make one like this...

Drill a hole in the end of some brass 3/16 rod.  Done.  Costs 3 bucks from home depot.

Oh and oil the crap out of the pin.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Gas block in vise, needle nose pliers to hold the roll pin and a regular set of pliers to squeeze it in place. Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#9]
BB223
Good job.  I gave up on making these as I no longer have a lathe. Did you makk the complete set?
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
BB223
Good job.  I gave up on making these as I no longer have a lathe. Did you makk the complete set?

You shouldn't need a lathe. Just use a center punch and a good quality, sharp, drill bit. A vice will help as well...
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I just took some black electrical tape and wrapped it around my pin punch tool.  I set the roll pin in there
and it was enough to keep it against the punch and staight.  From there just slightly tap the pin in and it'll
get in there enough to where you can take the tape off the punch and drive it home.  It was very easy once
I thought about it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
BB223

You shouldn't need a lathe. Just use a center punch and a good quality, sharp, drill bit. A vice will help as well...

What he said... That is how I did it.  I actually used a cordless drill.  I only need the one, as I only need it for the bolt catch, FA, and gas tube.  Billet lowers have no need for the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I am using a YHM gas block sight base with lug  after trying all the helpful hints I received it still wouldnt go thru hung up half way thru well I took out the gas tube and tried it with out the tube installed , Finally got it thru both sides and the dam thing is bent so all I can figure is that the holes are not aligned properly What bitch !!! took the roll pin out and reinstalled the gas tube and tapped in the bent roll pin no sweat ,Guess I better not take it out again Thanks for all the ideas
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top