Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2013 6:34:03 AM EDT
Is there a preference when installing a gas block between a set screw mounting system or a clamp-on style mounting system?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a set screw type on my AR Performance barrel. It has an alignment dimple in the barrel that makes the install very easy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of set screw do you use? Where can I get one? I have a gas block like that but it did not come w/ a screw
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer set screw, but I believe there was a test done a while ago that proved that the clamp on ones are just as strong fwiw.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of set screw do you use? Where can I get one? I have a gas block like that but it did not come w/ a screw
View Quote

Is it new?  Why didn't it come with a set screw?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#5]
It is an F marked front sight base. There are not holes drilled for taper pins but there is a hole underneath for a set screw. First time installing one on a barrel
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is there a preference when installing a gas block between a set screw mounting system or a clamp-on style mounting system?
View Quote

I believe the clamp on variety does a better job of gripping the journal and sealing in the gas, however, they won't fit inside the thinnest of the new thin handguards, e.g., MI's SS gen 2 models.  If you plan to mount the GB out in front of the handguard, then the clamp on is the way to go, IMO.  Vltor makes a really nice one. Mounting a set screw type GB is solid enough if there is a correctly placed dimple. - CW
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Just take it to the hardware store and find a set screw that fits. Maybe 8-32 I'm guessing?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is an F marked front sight base. There are not holes drilled for taper pins but there is a hole underneath for a set screw. First time installing one on a barrel
View Quote

FSB do not come with the taper holes drilled, that is how they are installed. The hole on the bottom is not for a set screw. That is how the gas port hole is drilled. All FSB/gas blocks have that hole.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:48:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks! I didn't know that. Looks like I am going to have to get it drilled.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:52:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the answers!! Went ahead and got a SS type this time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top