Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/24/2013 5:34:03 AM EST
Is there a preference when installing a gas block between a set screw mounting system or a clamp-on style mounting system?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:40:15 AM EST
I have a set screw type on my AR Performance barrel. It has an alignment dimple in the barrel that makes the install very easy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:38:02 PM EST
What kind of set screw do you use? Where can I get one? I have a gas block like that but it did not come w/ a screw
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:43:50 PM EST
I prefer set screw, but I believe there was a test done a while ago that proved that the clamp on ones are just as strong fwiw.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:57:00 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 62grtofreedom:
What kind of set screw do you use? Where can I get one? I have a gas block like that but it did not come w/ a screw
View Quote

Is it new? Why didn't it come with a set screw?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:05:21 PM EST
It is an F marked front sight base. There are not holes drilled for taper pins but there is a hole underneath for a set screw. First time installing one on a barrel
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:40:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By JaxRolo:
Is there a preference when installing a gas block between a set screw mounting system or a clamp-on style mounting system?
View Quote

I believe the clamp on variety does a better job of gripping the journal and sealing in the gas, however, they won't fit inside the thinnest of the new thin handguards, e.g., MI's SS gen 2 models. If you plan to mount the GB out in front of the handguard, then the clamp on is the way to go, IMO. Vltor makes a really nice one. Mounting a set screw type GB is solid enough if there is a correctly placed dimple. - CW
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:46:23 PM EST
Just take it to the hardware store and find a set screw that fits. Maybe 8-32 I'm guessing?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:13:49 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 62grtofreedom:
It is an F marked front sight base. There are not holes drilled for taper pins but there is a hole underneath for a set screw. First time installing one on a barrel
View Quote

FSB do not come with the taper holes drilled, that is how they are installed. The hole on the bottom is not for a set screw. That is how the gas port hole is drilled. All FSB/gas blocks have that hole.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:48:52 AM EST
Thanks! I didn't know that. Looks like I am going to have to get it drilled.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:52:59 AM EST
Thanks for the answers!! Went ahead and got a SS type this time.
Top Top