Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 3:52:00 PM EDT
OK, got a new barrel, 20 in. DPMS DCM barrel for my hipower shooting.  Got a new problem as well.
I also just switched out the original gas rings (9000 rounds) for a MacFarland gas ring.  (??)  There is 50 rnds through the barrel.   Chambers appears OK, no sign of obvious roughness.

I went to the range and shot my FL sized reloads, that is, 69 gr Sierra with 24 gr of Win 748.  Not a hot load by any means. The primers showed quite a bit of pressure, got scared after three shots and all were classical FTE's.  Decided to go with factory ammo at this point.
Then went to the Black Hills 69 gr remanuf'd ammo.  Fifty rounds, all good, no FTE's, primers looked really good.  no pressure.  Function great.
Then shot 40 Amer Eagle factory 62 grs.  A couple of FTE's, probable fouling related, but otherwise the function was great.
Went back to my reloads above, all FTE's with flattened primers.
I noticed that when I pulled the charging handle some resistance is felt initially, not like before.  It is not smooth.  The MacFarland rings were resisting and continued fouling made things worse.  I applied some CLP at the range and that helped for a few rounds.
OK, what is the problem with my reloads?  How do I make the rings "smaller?"  Are these two issues related?  thanks
Bill D  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I understand the MacFarland gas rings require some settling in, "seating" if you will, before they wear in and run ok.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:29:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Dano:
It really appears the MacFarland rings were a real mistake!  (aint broke, dont fix it!)  Later posts on this board indicated gas rings and how they are aligned are not crucial to function.
(All the reloaded cases were trimmed and I used mag length, 2.25in OAL, I also check my scale with calib weights; they were shot five times previously and I do not turn necks. )
If I continue to play with the lock and unlock function using the charge handle, the new rings do seem to be seating a little better, seems foolish to pull at this point.  Does CLP help or hurt the seating process?
Please recommend a better reload recipe to get me through the break-in period with this barrel.  As always, thanks for your help.
Bill D
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Dano:
Good points, will check ogive distance as advised with my Stoney Point, maybe this is part of the problem.  I will switch powders as well; gotta get off the 748!  Thanks for the advice, I have numerous 55 gr FMJ's that look good for break in.  
thanks again
BTW, do you know what powder Black Hills uses for their 69 gr remfrd?  gun cycled like a champ!
Bill D
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Dano:
went to the range today, all 80 55 gr reloads shot fine!  Only jams I had were with Winchester 223 50 gr factory.  go figure.   MacFarland rings breaking in fine.
BTW, thanks for the tip on checking the OAL for these rounds.  On the fmj's, at mag length, they were 20 thou in the lands and not off!  Wow, that Stoney point gauge is paying off.  The 69's are off the lands at mag length.  thanks again.
Bill D
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top