Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/2/2005 5:08:53 AM EDT
Hi,

I just put together my first AR15 with a Bushmaster stripped lower and an M4 kit.

After following the cleaning/lube procedures outlined in the Bushmaster manual, I took it out for a first run with 3 30-round mags.

The first round failed to extract, but after it was tapped out, everything went smoothly for the rest of the session.

Then, when I did a field strip to clean, I noticed that one of the gas rings was damaged. It looks like one of the edges got caught on something and sort of bent out of shape. Here's a pic of the damaged ring here:

http://www.geocities.com/golanalog/gasring.jpg

I was reading on this board that these rings should last for at least 1000+ rounds, so I want to make sure this is not a symptom of a larger problem.

Any thoughts or advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Philip
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:26:25 AM EDT
Yeah, you've got an issue.

Rings can/should last thousands of rounds.

I'd look for a burr inside the carrier.

So what cheapie kit did you buy?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:33:55 AM EDT
Is there a way to fix that? Or would I be looking at a new carrier then?

I got the kit from M&A Parts which I gathered was a respectable place from the research I did.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:36:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 8:41:37 AM EDT by 1911builder]
I would suggest you disassemble and thoroughly clean the rifle and bolt carrier. Then take a 1/2 inch or so diameter piece of wooden dowel and wrap a small piece of 320 or 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper around the dowel. Use the paper to LIGHTLY polish the burrs and surface of the interior of the bolt carrier. Two or three minutes is more than enough time for the polishing. Replace all 3 gas rings and reassemble the gun. Be sure to put some Break Free on the gas rings, on the rings, BEFORE you put the bolt into the bolt carrier. You should be OK after this. Charles.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:37:22 AM EDT
Inspect the interior of the carrier and look for burrs. If present, you might be able to knock it off and be fine, else I'd talke to M&A about exchanging it.

If there are no burrs, they either got knocked off or the rings were messed up somehow. I'd install new rings and give it another try
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:54:59 AM EDT
Thanks for your help guys. I'll give the sandpaper a shot and see if that does it.

Since I have to replace the gas rings now anyway, I'll probably just try it with a McFarland one-piece this time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:15:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By philter:
Hi,

I just put together my first AR15 with a Bushmaster stripped lower and an M4 kit.

After following the cleaning/lube procedures outlined in the Bushmaster manual, I took it out for a first run with 3 30-round mags.

The first round failed to extract, but after it was tapped out, everything went smoothly for the rest of the session.

Then, when I did a field strip to clean, I noticed that one of the gas rings was damaged. It looks like one of the edges got caught on something and sort of bent out of shape. Here's a pic of the damaged ring here:

www.geocities.com/golanalog/gasring.jpg

I was reading on this board that these rings should last for at least 1000+ rounds, so I want to make sure this is not a symptom of a larger problem.

Any thoughts or advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Philip

MCFARLAND ONE PIECE GAS RINGS STRONGER AND LAST LONGER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Top Top