Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/20/2005 5:19:54 PM EDT
Another newarguy here. have a question about the tightness of the three gas rings in the bolt. I know the gaps should be 120 from eachother but should the rings be loose and move on their own or when cleaned? Rifle seems to fire fine. 1000+ so far
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:06:38 PM EDT
The rings are loose and compress when installed in the carrier.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:18:32 PM EDT
Test for gas ring wear:

Assemble bolt into bolt carrier, no cam pin. Hold up carrier by the bolt vertically, If gravity pulls the carrier off the bolt, replace the gas rings.

BSW

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:12:08 AM EDT
thanks for the input. you have answered my question
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:43:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 2:44:21 AM EDT by Tweak]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:54:39 AM EDT
My gas rings need to be replaced.
I have new genuine Colt rings on hand.
But i've never done this before.

So, this might be a stupid question, but is there a special procedure/technique/tool to do this ?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:47:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sniper918:
My gas rings need to be replaced.
I have new genuine Colt rings on hand.
But i've never done this before.

So, this might be a stupid question, but is there a special procedure/technique/tool to do this ?

Just use your thumbnail, a small dental pick, etc. to hook the end of a ring in the ring's gap. Pull the end of the ring back over the edge of the bolt and wind it off. Repeat for the other two rings. You can twist the rings (and have the gap open wide sideways), but do NOT stretch the gap open by pulling one end straight away from the other end, as this will bend or break the ring.

To install: slide the ring over the back of the bolt, then pull one end of the ring forward until it drips into the rings' groove in the bolt. Then wind it on. Repeat for the other two rings.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:29:04 PM EDT
Also a small idea,

The gas rings are stamped cut when produced. It helps to load them all the same in regards to the flat verse round edges. My way to install is to place the flat section back towards the gas section of the bolt, with the rounded edge towards the barrel (give a better seal with less blow by past the rounded edge.

Also, before installing new rings, I stone the flat section edge sides to remove any stamping burs. This prevents a production bur from catching in the key screw threads and chancing a bent/chipped gas ring before the rings have a chance to break in (read knock the burs off by live fire).
Top Top