Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 6:03:18 AM EDT
All,

Have been lurking here awhile looking for an answer to my problem.  Recently built up a rifle with a Stag lower and Armalite varmint 24" stainless barrel upper.  Everything fits nicely and seems to be fine.  Except.  When I went to clean the barrel prior to shooting, I discovered a burr at the gas port that won't let a Boresnake through.

Called the seller of the upper and he advised to push it out with a cleaning rod.  I did.  Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

Asked a local highpower shooter about this and he advised to shoot the burr out––definitely not to use a cleaning rod.

Well, I've already used the rod and burr is now pushed back up into the gas port.  Will I have a single shot AR as a result?  Will I do any harm by shooting it that way?  Can I easily remove the gas block and carefully remove the burr with a twist drill in a piin vise?

Any advise welcomed.  Thanks in advance.

Oilcan
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:05:23 AM EDT
[#1]
+1
shoot the burr out
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:25:04 AM EDT
[#2]
No harm in trying to shoot it out; worse thing that can happen is that you'll end up taking the front sight base off anyway.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#3]
It's not hard to remove the gas block.  I am assuming you have some kind of low profile and not a sight tower.  There are probably a couple of set screws on the bottom that you loosen so you can move it out of the way.  You don't have to remove the gas tube, but be very careful not to bend it.  There are stickies in the build it yourself section that should help.  If the burr is in the gas port it might make it's way back into the action and cause some mischief so you might want to remove it before firing.  Just my .02.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:28:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top