Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/28/2011 4:31:08 PM EDT
Searched, couldn't' find anything. Tried taking the gas block off my DelTon upper to replace it and can't get the pins out, first i tried tap a tap a tap with a little sissie hammer, than a 16 oz claw and finally a 4 lb mallet. tried various punches and even heated up the gas block to no avail.I measured the heads first to make sure I was trying to get them out in the right direction. I don't' have a hydraulic press or i would of tried it, any tips/tricks? I didn't peen the head over before any body asks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The pins are rounded. They make a punch with a cupped tip that gives more contact. The gas block must be well supported on a solid surface with no give to it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#2]
The key word here is "SOLID". Place your bench block on a concrete floor. Many times concrete is the only answer. Beware of hydro press......it's easy to bend things.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#3]
BCM had an article about getting the pins out.

I had a hell of a time getting some Sabre pins out of a FSB.

Support the FSB with a block of wood and place it on concrete. Use a very large punch and big hammer. Get a friend to help hold it.

Whack it to get it started, then used smaller punch to finish.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Just did mine - Del-ton 16" lightweight with A2 FSB.  I will tell you what I did, but you may screw the pooch and hit something vital.  I take no blame in the below items:

I have the Brownells orange rifle block with the pins in/out.  It must be SOLID like they are saying....Did I say that it needs to be SOLID...It needs to be SOLID.  I used a #5 punch (Big), and beat it like it owned me money with an 8 oz ballpeen hammer - 3-4 good whacks...I mean whacks, and I felt the pins budge.  I then progressed to the #3 punch...I think that is what it was to drive the pins all the way out took about 10-15 more good taps.  They put a lot of oil on the pins, and they get a suction type lock when beat in.  

Oh, pay attention to the amount of pin sticking out so that when you put them back in...It's in the same place - Pins sticking out the same,

Don't be afraid, and whack the thing.

RobF
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I used my cut off wheel. Was a lot easier.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
BCM had an article about getting the pins out.

I had a hell of a time getting some Sabre pins out of a FSB.

Support the FSB with a block of wood and place it on concrete. Use a very large punch and big hammer. Get a friend to help hold it.

Whack it to get it started, then used smaller punch to finish.

This.  Wood block on sturdy surface, 4lb Estwing drilling hammer, 1/4" steel punch to get the pin moving, then a smaller punch and smaller hammer to knock it out.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top