Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2005 12:01:04 PM EDT
Is there a Maintence schedule cleaning requirement for the gas tube and block ? My rifle seems to be short stroking. Shell ejects and bolt goes into battery but it wont pick up and chamber a round. 300 rounds no problems at all. This just started today around 350. I keep the rifle good and clean. Ruined a good day at the range. Live and learn, any suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Gas tube does not need cleaning. Book shows to clean the carrier key with a pipe cleaner but I have never done it and never needed to. The only time I saw a gas block get clogged was from shooting a 22 kit in a machinegun over a period of time. Could check the carrier key and screws to see if they have become loose.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#2]
As j3 said check that carrier key and it's screws. I have seen them even come loose when they were staked with a punch. Also check the rings to be sure the gaps are not lined up. If your bolt will fall out of the carrier by it's own weight, the rings need replaced.
My orginal Colt 6601 (1989) is now on its third barrel. I am guessing 14000 + rounds. I never cleaned the gas tube. Ha, I running the same rings too! I have heard or read somewhere that laquered cases from Wolf ammo can cause gas tube problems but that is hear say and never seen it first hand.

Dave McGrath
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:23:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:00:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Shameful bump. Carrier key loose very weak stake job. Anyone got a link to proper staking method? Are there any little gremlins that will jump out at me if I remove key for cleaning? I will remove bolt and let it soak while at work today. I thought since it's about to fall off anyway why not clean it. Thanks for input.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#5]
No gremlins. They say to replace the screws. Link to manual below that has staking methods in it. Also a link to what Armalite says about how to tighten them.
www.ar15.com/content/manuals/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf
www.armalite.com/library/techNotes/tnote47.htm
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
gas ring alinement has nothing to do with function.

Sir;
It is to my understanding that any amount of gas loss can be reason for malfunctions as jcncc is having.
Per TM 05538C-23&P/2  U.S. Marine Corps Technical Manual 3-18 (quote) Note: Make certain ring gaps are staggered to prevent loss of gas pressure.

Several years ago I attended the Small Arms Firing School conducted by the Army Marsksmanship Unit at Camp Perry, Ohio. The instructors stressed this same procedure as to prevent gas related malfunctions.

Dave McGrath
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Ring alignment really does not matter much.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top