Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 7:13:18 AM EDT
Hey all...

I was cleaning my rifle the other day and noticed the gas key was a little loose on the bolt.  I tightened it up with an Allen wrench, and it seems to shoot fine.  

Is there anything else I need to do?  Should I put some thread locker on the screws or something?  I just want to be safe.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to stake it or it will work its way loose pretty quickly

It this a Bushmaster, by chance?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Indeed it is!  A known problem, I take it?

By "stake" what do you mean exactly?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#3]
It is hard to explain... dose anbody have any pic's
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:18:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You need to deform a tiny portion of the cap screw and the bolt carrier to that the scew won't work itself loose. If you can find a M16 manual, it will show you how to stake your gas key into the bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Indeed it is!  A known problem, I take it?

Staking is pushing some of the surrounding metal against the screw for a tighter fit.  Take a look at the key around the edges of the screws and you should see some deformed metal.  It can be done with specialized staking tools, done with a center punch, or you can use a flat-head screwdriver.  I place a flat-head screw driver against the outside of the carrier key where the metal is thinnest, hold it at about a 45 degree angle and give it a few taps with a hammer so that some metal is bent in against the screw head.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need to deform a tiny portion of the cap screw and the bolt carrier to that the scew won't work itself loose. If you can find a M16 manual, it will show you how to stake your gas key into the bolt carrier.

Yeah,  what he said.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top