Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/26/2004 1:50:10 PM EST
I just put this new JT no ban M4 (please don't sue me Colt) upper on my previously post ban rifle.
Well after about 200 rds., I started having FTE/FTF. Gas key was loose. Took it to a gunsmith (I don't have my tools here in AZ) and had him restake it. Today, I shot about 200rds with no problem. While cleaning the rifle, I found that the bolts had loosened so that the stake dimples no longer lined up (aka future problem). I was thinking about taking it back to the gunsmith and have him locktite and restake in 3-4 (instead of 2) places.
What do you think?- I amwilling to try anything.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:16:27 PM EST
Have him take a sharp cold chisel or centerpunch and stake the hell out of those gas key screws in 2 places. I had this same problem on my new AR pistol and got serious about taking those damn things in place. They're not moving now!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:58:58 PM EST
Anyone else have a similar problem? I plan on staking the hell out of it but what about the locktite as an added security measure?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:41:19 PM EST
Giving myself one last bump before this thread disappears into the depths of the second page.

Anymore input? Anyone there? Can you hear me now?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:58:11 PM EST
When I replaced my gas key, I first cleaned the carrier and key with brake cleaner, to remove any oils. I then put red Loctite, on the key screws, and torqued them per the T-M ( 35-40 in/lb ). After torquing, I staked the screws in 3 places, about 120 degrees apart with a sharp center punch. I put the punch where the cap screw head, and the counterbore in the key are, and hit them both in the same blow. This puts a dimple in both the key and the screw. I have fired several thousand rounds since, and there is no sign of the screws loosening. When staking the screws, make sure the carrier is sitting on a flat solid surface, and hit just hard enough to dimple the screws/key. If you use too much hammer, you risk damaging the carrier.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:32:56 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:36:35 AM EST
Gas key.... just make sure you don't leave home without it (click here).
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:29:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By VAPORTRAIL:
When I replaced my gas key, I first cleaned the carrier and key with brake cleaner, to remove any oils. I then put red Loctite, on the key screws, and torqued them per the T-M ( 35-40 in/lb ). After torquing, I staked the screws in 3 places, about 120 degrees apart with a sharp center punch. I put the punch where the cap screw head, and the counterbore in the key are, and hit them both in the same blow. This puts a dimple in both the key and the screw. I have fired several thousand rounds since, and there is no sign of the screws loosening. When staking the screws, make sure the carrier is sitting on a flat solid surface, and hit just hard enough to dimple the screws/key. If you use too much hammer, you risk damaging the carrier.

Excellent advice. I did the same thing... key is to get it clean with gunscrubber/brake cleaner, then locktite, torque, and stake the hell out of it. Mine that I have re-staked sure dont look pretty, but they havent turned loose in 1000's and 1000's of rounds either.

This has happened on two bushmaster bolt/carriers of mine right around the 1000 round mark... and I have not had it happen on my Colt or RRA carriers.,,,,,. of course, it just so happens I shoot the bushies all the time... and rarely shoot the others.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:31:14 PM EST
OK- instead of backing out the halfway staked screws, I retightened and staked each one a couple extra times- problem solved.

If I have aymore problems- red locktite, new screws, and a lot of proper staking.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:31:35 PM EST
Had the same problem w/ my Bushy key. I'm going to try loc-tite and see if that works. Mine worked its way loose after roughly 1k rounds as well. Good luck.
Mike, NY
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:47:47 PM EST
I had my gas key come loose after about 1500 rounds, fortunately, I bring "range" tools with me to include a multi-allen wrench tool. I turned 'em gorilla tight and voila. I have seen this issue with others at the range as well. Now, when I clean, I also inspect the gas key screws to insure proper tightness. I consider this "preventive maintenance".
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:21:31 PM EST
You guys... seriously need to *stake* those screws.... not just get em tight. You dont want them backing out when you need them.
Top Top