Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2009 3:37:38 PM EDT
I'm in the process of converting my A2 to A3. I've got new upper and will install a FF and new gas block when I make the switch. Been researching gas blocks and most of what I like are installed with set screws. Is there any concern about the stress that these may put on the barrel? I'm no metallurgist, but it just seems that torquing set screws into the barrel might induce stress that may affect it. I'm I being overly concerned about nothing?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
No Problem. The military Mark 12 Mod 1 SPR uses a set screw gas block.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Some people dimple drill the barrel to accept the screw better.

I think it's more of an added centering measure then to relive stress on the barrel
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Had one and forgot to loctite it, came loose, instant single shot. Loctited it, no problems but still bothered me about the heat on the loctite. Switched to a clamp on but will say the loctite held up well, bent allen wrench removing set screws. Feel better w/ clamp on though, YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#4]
you can always have it pinned as well
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#5]
The barrel will be fine.  What you need to worry about is it coming loose.

Sending the barrel and block to ADCO to do a drill and pin is cheap and you'll never have to wonder if it's going to come loose.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used both set screw and clamp on with red-loc tite...........never had one come loose..............
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top