Hey guys I have been pondering installing a free float tube on my Armalite A4 upper. The tube I want to install is the Armalite carbon fiber tube. I would like to do it myself as the cost of having it done would be more than it would be to by the tools. My question is do I need to remove the muzzle brake and gas block to install the FF? Normally I understand you need to remove these items so one can slide the tube over the barrel but as my upper has an Armalite’s flat top gas block I thought maybe it is low enough to just slide the tube over it without removal? I would not be asking this but my muzzle brake is permanently attached and that is how it is going to stay. So does anyone know? Also any experience whit this free float system?
The process to install a free float tube (any free float tube except certain designs from Troy, Samson, MI, ARMS and KAC) is:
- remove handguards
- remove any muzzle device (brake, hider, whatever)
- remove the front sight base (it's easier if you leave the gas tube attached to the FSB)
- secure the upper in a vise and remove the barrel nut
- slide the barrel nut that comes with the free-flaot tube onto the barrel to the proper torque then continue until it is properly aligned for the gas tube
- slide the free flaot tube over the barrel and attach to the barrel nut
- resintall the front sight base
- reinstall the muzzle device
ETA that if you don't want to do all that then you're going to have to look at the free-float rails from the companies I listed above and select something that will work with the existing barrel nut.