Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 12:12:28 PM EDT
Hi all,

I am intersted in AR rifles so I shot a friends 16´ AR15 today to give it a try.
The ammo we used was some PMC "less-flash" ammo.
The AR had a so called "Gas-buster" carging handel.

My problem was that the ammo gas smells bad and burns a little in my nose.
When I shot more then 6 or so round quickly from one position the gas came under my M-Frames and it burned in my eyes like hell so I had to shut them.

My friend did´t had this problems at all...

So what did I wrong ?
Am I a wimp ?
Is this the thing I have to get used to when shooting AR15´s ?
Did you had the same problems ?

Thank you

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:46:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The smell that you were getting was either the burnt powder past the muzzle blowing back at you,
Or it could have been too much lube in the rifle, and that was the fumes that were burning your eyes. Try dumping a mag of Wolf ammo into a strong head wind.  You will swear that you are standing in a pool of bat piss and it will clear your sinuses.

As for the gas buster, was he running a can on this rig?  If so, then that would explain the extra gas being blaster back into your face.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Bat-Piss ?   Jesus !

No can on the gun. We tryed one upper with a standard bird-cage and one GG&G brake...the funny thing was  that the AR kicked more with the GG&G on it then with the basic.

So your experiance are that this is not the rule that you get all the gas blowen into your face ?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Not in a rifle correctly gas tuned (read the 9mm is a blow back system, so yes you will get a bit more gas back on this type of system).

Again, My guess is that if the fumes where stinging your eyes, then the rifle was lubed too much, and this was the thing that was causing the funky fumes.  The ammonia fumes from the ammo tend to clean your sinuses, more than sting your eyes.

Note: keep in mind the source.  I tend to run hundreds of thousands of rounds threw rifles/pistols on a good year, so it may just be myself in regards what effects me, and what doesn't.  Hell. I have heard that some guys are having problem with CLP on their skin (rashes), and on most range days, you would have thought that I used CLP for cologne.

Dano
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:53:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Too add, if the rifle was recoiling more with a brake, then his barrel gas port is too large, and he has a problem with over function.  Since reducing the gas port is a PITA, the easier solution is to just run a heavier buffer to slow the cycle rate back to normal.

Note: the reason that you felt more recoil was that with the added back pressure from the brake down the gas tube, the buffer (action) slams harder into the back of the receiver extension, than if it was normally stroking.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#5]

I noticed the same thing while firing my Armalite AR15M4 thursday.
I found myself breathin alot of gases during rapid fire on a midly windy, 2-3 kph day.
Maybe it was the ammo, maybe the wind direction, I dunno.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the infos. I will give it a try again with different ammo.
S&B is not so expensiv here.
I  shot a lot of Handgun and MP5 so this kind of gas-blast was
new to me. Back in the day´s I played a little with the M16A2
and never had that problem.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Did both of you shoot right handed or are you shooting left handed. With the gas buster c/h , I believe gas is redirected to theright side so if you shoot left hand like i do the gas will hit you in the face.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
@MT:
We all shot it right handed.
I have to say that I feel a little funny since my 2 friends did not got the "gas-blindness" I got.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top