Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2005 1:30:01 PM EDT
I asked a salesman at Gander if they would ever get some AR's in. He replied " This company sells sporting arms not assault weapons.  It is company policy. He stated that they would not even order or work on one. It got my goat that gun people are looking down on gun people. This is really bad because they have mini 14's. Next time your in Gander ask about AR's and bitch!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
And why should I be upset that a company with noone who knows how to work on an AR does not want to work on my AR?  I also bet the salesman does not know crap about company policy.  Get a statement in writing from someone who actually knows something and you might get me interested.  I also dont think this belongs in the AR technical discussion area.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#2]
NAZI
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought it said AR specific "sorry" Call the closest GM and ask the store manager. You are right, I would not want them working on my guns but don't like being talked to like a second class citizen!

Quoted:
And why should I be upset that a company with noone who knows how to work on an AR does not want to work on my AR?  I also bet the salesman does not know crap about company policy.  Get a statement in writing from someone who actually knows something and you might get me interested.  I also dont think this belongs in the AR technical discussion area.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Jeez, for the hundredth time, they are Hunt, Fish, Camp store!  Some people, especially from this board, hunt with AR's but most don't!  They specialize in their niche, and I don't think black rifle owners represent a significant portion of gun owners as compared to more 'sporting' shotguns and rifles.

If you do believe that there is that much of a demand for EBR's in that area, embrace capitalism, thank Gander Mountain for allowing you your niche and open your own military-style firearms shop next door.  You'll make a killing.

You know, the Gander Mountain here in PA doesn't carry saltwater fishing tackle, they must be anti-ocean fishing!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a conversation with one of the employees at the newly opened Gander Mountain in Beaumont... He pretty much said that they couldn't for some BS reason or another. Oh well, the Academy right down the road is running Bushy's at a damn good price, and there's a small gunshop next to it that's got decent prices on them as well...

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#6]
The local Gander Mountain would not sell me 9mm ammunition unless I had a pistol permit.  I explained that it was for a carbine not a pistol.  They wouldn't budge so I gave the cashier back the .boxes of .223 Winchester, explaining that there are pistols that shoot .233 and the shirts Iwanted to buy could be worn while shooting a pistol so I guess I couldn't buy anything there.  So I don't.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Vote with your dollars. Like the poster said, their Niche is not AR's, so they don't bother, besides, their are so many reputable dealers like Grant and Adco,etc.   Why would anyone want to deal with the monkeys at Gander who are typical 21 year old Gun store experts who know jack about firearms in the first place.

Wayyyyyy to many other good companies to spend my cash on and Gander is not one of them...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I had a conversation with one of the employees at the newly opened Gander Mountain in Beaumont... He pretty much said that they couldn't for some BS reason or another. Oh well, the Academy right down the road is running Bushy's at a damn good price, and there's a small gunshop next to it that's got decent prices on them as well...

-Cap'n

You're very right the Academy and Shooters Supply has excellent prices on the EBR's. I have not bought much of anything from Gander Mountain, I still take my money to Academy before I take it there. I had one of the salesmen in the firearms area tell me he has shot every firearm in the store. Including the Magnum Research .45-70 revolver that "does not hardly hurt at all".......tools working there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Back in the old days ..GM sold AR-15s...

Recently some stores have quit selling handguns others have quit selling what they called Sat Night
Specials (handguns with barrels of less than 3 inches)

Since Gander's retail operation sold out to Holiday I have noticed that some short barreled pistols
were back in display cases...but not the semi auto military black rifle look alikes aka to hysterical
journalists and other anti gunners as assault rifles.

Cabela's on the other hand carry military style semi autos...and have NO problem selling them
or accessories...at least they truly support the 2nd amendment...and do not pander
(at least from what I can see) to the Antis..

IMO Gander Panders...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Cap'n

You're very right the Academy and Shooters Supply has excellent prices on the EBR's. I have not bought much of anything from Gander Mountain, I still take my money to Academy before I take it there. I had one of the salesmen in the firearms area tell me he has shot every firearm in the store. Including the Magnum Research .45-70 revolver that "does not hardly hurt at all".......tools working there.

Gander Mountain has some good stuff... I put together one helluva neat survival kit from stuff I found there. They're also the only local source for good hiking boots.

But Shooter's and Academy definately own them on firearm's prices. I got a used Bushy 16" A1 from Shooter's for $525 about a year and a half ago.

And it's funny that they don't sell ARs, since they had a Beretta Storm when they first opened.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Why bother?  I have plenty of places to buy EBRs beginning with ORF right in town.

What the GM dumbasses don't know is that all the reloading supplies they've been selling me are coming out of the business end of an evil black bullet hose.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Once again you've got to separate the people from the problem. The firearms manager at my local GM is one of the coolest people I've met. It was explained to me that they are trying to avoid the liability problems that they are afraid would start if they sold ARs, AKs and the like. I don't think that they were looking down on you as much as the clerk was probably just a jackass.

The cheap prices on a lot of other things makes a trip there worthwhile (IMHO)

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Hell I wish I had a Gander Mountain around here to bitch about. All we have around here is a Bass Pro and Dicks. From what I read, GM is much more gun friendly then either one of those two so I would gladly trade you.

Dicks doesn't even sell handguns much less AR's and our BP just start carrying a half-way decent selection of hand guns (but nothing used and no trade ins). I heard we may be getting a Cabelas (I'll believe it when I see it) but I'm not expecting them to be much better than Bass Pro?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I had the comp. on my 14.5 replaced with a phantom at Gander.  The gun smith was happy to work on it and the price came in under quote. They said that they would special order any gun for cost plus twenty dollars. Maybe policies are diferent from store to store or state to state.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Interesting,
Gander Mtn. is building a new store here in Greensboro, NC.  It opens in a few weeks I think.  I'll check on it then.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#18]
If you think GM is bad, I got a hunting catalog in the mail from the yuppies at LL Bean, not one round of ammo or any firearm listed in the catalog. There sure is alot of trendy high priced fleece in there though. It's funny they do sell guns and ammo in their store, never noticed any AR's though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hell I wish I had a Gander Mountain around here to bitch about. All we have around here is a Bass Pro and Dicks. From what I read, GM is much more gun friendly then either one of those two so I would gladly trade you.

Dicks doesn't even sell handguns much less AR's and our BP just start carrying a half-way decent selection of hand guns (but nothing used and no trade ins). I heard we may be getting a Cabelas (I'll believe it when I see it) but I'm not expecting them to be much better than Bass Pro?

Cabelas is a hell of a lot better than Bass Pro.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I heard we may be getting a Cabelas (I'll believe it when I see it) but I'm not expecting them to be much better than Bass Pro?

Cabelas glady carries EBR and their accessories.

Cabelas is A-OK with me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Very true, my friend just but a bushy from Cabela's for a really good price. Screw gander mountain.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I heard we may be getting a Cabelas (I'll believe it when I see it) but I'm not expecting them to be much better than Bass Pro?

Cabelas is A-OK with me.

Yes

Feel free to check out the Cabelas in Wheeling, WV...

Bushmasters, Armalite Ar-10's, Bushmasters in 308, Springfield SOCOM 16's, Springfield Scout rifles.

Very Nice selection.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I got the same crap when i asked about an AK in the local gun shop, i dont go there anymore, it is a gun shop and a guy wants a gun WTF is the problem? IMO if they are gonna act like that they are anti gun and i have no use for them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cabelas is A-OK with me.

Yes

Bushmasters, Armalite Ar-10's, Bushmasters in 308, Springfield SOCOM 16's, Springfield Scout rifles.

Very Nice selection.

Well that's good to hear assuming we actually get one (not holding my breath on that).

I passed two Cabelas last year when I went to go see my bro's in PA and NJ. Now I'm kicking myself for not stopping!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#25]
That reminds me of the local Scheel's. I was asking them about selling AR's, and they said they don't sell any assault rifle type firearms. Funny thing is, I was holding a SOCOM 16 when they told me that. Oh well, it's of no concern to me. Most of those big franchise stores would probably just over price AR's just like everything else they have in stock.

Besides, they're a hunting store. I hate to say it, but your average old time hunter doesn't even have any interest in any kind of "assault weapon". Your average anti gun outdoorsmen would frown upon them for carrying such firearms anyways. I'll take my money to the smaller places, that actually have similar taste in firearms.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#26]
The sad thing is that the AR can be used for so many different things; match target rifle, hunting, home defense, plinkin', etc, etc. This "it's an assault rifle" statement is pure BS, it's much more than that. If it's such an evil assault rifle then why do they sell .223 ammo? Oh well, let others who are willing to cater to us get our money.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I used to freqent a certain hunting forums website and the people over there were so worried about anti gun tards seeing them with the wrong gun. They once had a huge debate over using a sniper rifle to hunt, what in the hell do they think sniper rifles come from, the same one they shoot there deer with. I left there because i might as well have been talking to anti gun people. They preach about gun rights but limit themselves so they dont appear to be gun nuts. I started a thread about ARs and it was ignored and deleted 2 days later.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I dont shop for BMW's at Ford dealerships. Just because a place sells guns dont mean they sell ALL guns. Pick your shops correctly
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#29]
The said "headquarters" for Gander Mountain wants their outlets to be "family orientated", this being the reason why they do not deal in ANY military type firearms...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cabelas is A-OK with me.

Yes

Very Nice selection.

The Cabelas in Wheeling, WV is awesome! That place has just about everything imaginable... I go there often as possible..  
My 10 and 3 year old kids love the Aquarium and stuffed animal displays... Its like going to the zoo with out having to worry about "Don't feed the animals"
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Cap'n

Gander Mountain has some good stuff... I put together one helluva neat survival kit from stuff I found there. They're also the only local source for good hiking boots.

But Shooter's and Academy definately own them on firearm's prices. I got a used Bushy 16" A1 from Shooter's for $525 about a year and a half ago.

And it's funny that they don't sell ARs, since they had a Beretta Storm when they first opened.

As long as we are tossing up the GM in Beaumont......I have been meaning to ask one of them........they don't carry AR's, but they were the first place that I saw a 45 cal CX4 Beretta Storm .......huh????  I guess the MILDLY evil black rifle Storm is OK, but the EVIL evil black rifle isn't?!?!?  

I don't really care either, as I prefer to shop at Shooters, but COME ON!  This is "Black Rifle Racism" if I have ever seen it .  

Go figure.

Doc
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#32]
When i go to a gun dealer who is trying to make money in a buiness i dont want to hear shit like this, i want my gun.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Cap'n

As long as we are tossing up the GM in Beaumont......I have been meaning to ask one of them........they don't carry AR's, but they were the first place that I saw a 45 cal CX4 Beretta Storm .......huh????  I guess the MILDLY evil black rifle Storm is OK, but the EVIL evil black rifle isn't?!?!?  

I don't really care either, as I prefer to shop at Shooters, but COME ON!  This is "Black Rifle Racism" if I have ever seen it .  

Go figure.

Doc

What I always found funny, is they sell .223 that is bulk packaged. Noone will ever convince me that that Win 40 rnd packs, UMC 250 rnd packs and the likes are not specifically marketed to us. I mean hunters do not buy bulk produced packaged ammo, its not designed as hunting ammo. They also sell EBR cases, got a real nice one from our Gander for $29.

The Storms they had were there for a while, so actually I think maybe they do not feel there is enough of a market for them. Definitley not an overhead cost issue, because they stock some very high end 1911s at ours. Had a Wilson Combat for quite a while in the used case. They also keep 2 or 3 combat shotguns, along with this funky ass South African 12 gauge that is definitley not PC.

Either way, I'll stick to Academy and Shooters. And for any of you other S.E. Texas guys, Randy Leger usually keeps Ar's in stock. I bought my no ban Bushy A2 from him for cheaper than anyone else in the area. $853 out the door. He is also willing to order just about anything and they are pretty friendly, though their main customer is the bolt gun hunters more so than us [begin average hunter attitude] "lowly EBR owning riffraff" [end average hunter attitude].
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I haven't been to a Cabela's, so no input there.  However, I will definateely say (For SE WI/NE IL anyhow) that GM is ten times better than BassPro.  I needed some work done on an AR barrel, GM did it.  Some work on an M1A, GM did it.  I wanted to test out eye relief on some scopes at BassPro, and they wouldn't let me in the store with an AR upper receiver.  Hell, from my experiences at BassPro, if it ain't lever or bolt action, or a 22, it's an "Assualt Rifle".  When I bought 28 cases of WWB 9mm from GM, no questions, just a  "wow, that's a lot of ammo", whereas when I bought 1000 trounds of WWB at basspro, I got the " getting ready for a war?, what do you need all that ammo for?" questions.  Also, out here, GM will get you anything from their distributor (can't remember the name, but they have rights on the green glocks, ), and stock Glocks, HK's, etc.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
If you think GM is bad, I got a hunting catalog in the mail from the yuppies at LL Bean, not one round of ammo or any firearm listed in the catalog. There sure is alot of trendy high priced fleece in there though. It's funny they do sell guns and ammo in their store, never noticed any AR's though.

That's nothing.  Pick up a 'field and stream' or 'outdoor life'.  Then look for a firearm advertisement.....no you are not imagining things.  These 'hunting' mags don't run firearms advertisements.  Scopes and ammo, sure, but no evil guns.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Yeah your right, i had never noticed, wtf? I am going to send emails and ask about that one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#37]
BlackRifle owners may not represent a big part of gun ownership, but I bet we shoot ALOT more than the other segments.

Gander Mt. will miss out on our business for this.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#38]
I have seen Garands and M1a's at GM stores.  I could probably get an AR cheaper somewhere else so I don't care that they don't sell them.  Most of their firearms are overpriced IMO.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top