Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/4/2006 11:36:22 AM EDT
I am in the market for a soft side case for my RRA Entry Tactical with EOtech.  I would love to get one of the I-Shot cases but the price is just too steep.  I have been looking at the 38" Galati International Discreet Square Case.  Does anyone have any experience with this case or a similar model?  What is the quality like?  I want a case with internal straps to secure the weapon and I do NOT want the spare magazines in the same compartment as the weapon.  I would like to be able to configure the outside compartment with a variety of magazine pouches and such.  I want close cell foam padding including full padding around the zipper of the main compartment.  Additionally, I want the case to be at least somewhat discreet in appearance.  

This case seems to fulfill all of my requirements but I have not seen much talk about it on this site.  I searched and came up with nothing.  Any info or pics would be great.  It looks to be a well made product.  Thanks in advance for your pics and/or opinions.  

I am not sure how to make the link hot, but this is the site adderess  for the case I am looking at:

http://www.galatiinternational.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GIO&Product_Code=SQ38&Category_Code=squarecase
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:47:41 AM EDT
[#1]
You and I are thinking alike...

Can anyone offer some advice?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:47:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Looked at them myself a while back- went with a Bagmaster Discreet Case ... but saw some Galati's at a gun show they looked cheap and felt that way compared to some of the other cases available at the gun show that were also displayed for just $10-$20 more and if they dont indicate that a case floats it means it sinks ? Galati's case had alot of loose threads dangling inside and actually reminded me of being built in those same places that make the $30 leather jackets sold at liquor stores - ever see those ?  Which is why I went with the Bagmaster and keep kicking myself because the vendor at the gnshow was selling the Bagmaster case cheaper than Bagmaster was.  But Galati's case is the top of their line -per their catalog so I imagine the quality lessens... Bagmaster made in the good old USA ...who knows about Galati's ...IMO
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:55:38 AM EDT
[#3]
At almost half the price of the I-Shot 42", it appears to be a real bargain.  The primary negative that I see is that it does not have the PALS webbing covering the entire main compartment.  This is not a huge issue for me and certainly not worth it to me to pay almost twice as much.  It seems like you could really configure the outside pocket any way you want since it is set up for hook and loop attachment of mag pouches and other accessories.  I talked to one of the customer service people at Galati International and she said they will be carrying additional hook and loop mag pouches and such for purchase in the future.  She said they are on order but are not available yet.  I think there are other manufacturers that make the Velcro type attachment accessories as well.

Hammerdrop - Thanks for the info.  hich   Anyone that actually owns one of these cases that wants to weigh in on the quality of the product?  Quality materials?  Quality finish?  Does the work appear to be shoddy?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:39:37 AM EDT
[#4]
l I saw the name Galati and the insides and I didn't look any further I think it was a 38' inch bag ?? I get unindated with catalogs from Galati since I bought something from the once a few years ago which is why I know they have a decending order of quality with the weapon cases they offer.
Bagmaster does not refer to their part# HWC 36 as the 'Discreet' case -  thats what I referred to it as since it was supposed to be easier for you to ID its shape which is retangular as opposed to the triangular shape synonomous with assault weapon style cases. Drive down I'll show it to you ...it didn't come with any mag pouches internal or external those are purchased separately. So take a look at Bagmasters website again ... HWC 36 which is more 'Discreet' than the typical as advertised 'Tactical' weapon case.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Hammerdrop!  I will look at the Bagmaster site again.  Just like everyone else, I am trying to get the most for the money!  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Always a pleasure ...the Bagmaster HWC 36 is steeper in price than the Galati but IMO worth it especially if you are not trying to draw attention to the type of case you are carrying hence what is inside . And best of all 'Made in America'.  The vendor at the gunshow was selling the "36 model for $65.00 damn ...    
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#7]
O.K. I looked at the Bagmaster site and found the HWC 36.  It looks like a nice case.  The only issue that I can see is that it has the extra storage in the main compartment along with the weapon.  This is the same reason that I have been avoiding some of the other manufacturers.  I do not like the idea of my inexpensive accessories and $10.00 spare magazines being able to scratch, ding, dent or perhaps break my $1500.00 firearm/sight as they mingle together inside the bag.  I just do not see why manufacturers make them this way.  Granted you have some thin fabric between the items (in some cases) but nothing like 1/2" of close cell foam protecting the weapon from your extra mags, ammo, accessories, etc.  

Still no owners of this case that want to chime in?  Is the case so crappy that you are embarrassed to admit you bought it?  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I haven't heard anything about Galati's rectangle cases on here.  Talk of such cases usually ends up on the Tac-Force cases (link 1, link 2) or the i-SHOT (link).  Most people who have the Tac-Force seem to like them for the money.  I looked at one at a shop, but didn't buy it.  Only because I need more flexibility in the tie-down positions.  (And because he wanted $100 for it when they were $50 online.)  Everyone who has an i-SHOT likes it, except for the price.  I'll probably end up getting an i-SHOT, but haven't been able to pry the $$$ out of my wallet yet.

The Galati page doesn't say theirs is closed-cell foam, but I'm pretty sure their trapezoid-shaped cases are.   I believe those have generally had decent reviews over in the Competition forum.  I have one by King, which I believe was a mid-priced Galati line (now discontinued) and it's been fine.  Rides around in the truck a lot, but otherwise isn't abused.  My dad is happy with his Galati trapezoid case, but he just takes it to the range and back.

I looked at the Bagmaster cases at a gun show, but didn't like that it didn't have separate mag pouches.  I looked at the Eagle, but didn't like that it only had 4 mag pouches and that they were inside with no padding between them and the rifle.  Blackhawk is another option, pretty much the same as the Galati and Tac-Force.    i-SHOT used to have a "Civvy Carbine Case" with velcro in the side pouch and only two tie-down rows for less than the TCC case, but I can't find it on their site now.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for the info and the links.  h It looks like the Tac-Force fits everything that I am looking for and at a good price on top of that!  I will search some more and see what I can find out on the Tac-Force cases.  Any idea if they use a good heavy fabric and good zippers?  I have not completely ruled out the I-Shot cases, but I could get three of the Tac-Force for the price of just one I-Shot! hock.gif
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a thread on the Tac-Force.  I'm sure there are others if you go back farther.   When I was looking at the Tac-Force I was mostly looking at it for fit, not construction, but it didn't strike me as flimsy.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Haven't handled a Galati, but I do love my Tac Force and highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the input everyone.  I think I am leaning in the direction of the Tac-Force case.  It looks like a real bargain.  I plan to pick up a second magazine pouch if/when I purchase it.  Again, thanks for those that took time to help out and give advice.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Well just when I thought that I had decided on the Tac-Force discreet case, one of my friends suggested the Blackhawk Homeland Security Discreet Weapons Case.  It appears to be very similar to the Tac-Force but has a couple of improvements without costing much more.  It uses YKK #9 zippers, 1000 denier Cordura fabric and has access to the padding in the sides of the case.  This would give the option of adding additional padding or taking the padding out to clean it.  So, any input on the Blackhawk case?  Here is the web address for the case I am looking at.  The add does not say that it is made of the 1000 denier Cordura but the customer service person I talked to said that it was.    

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=1343&d=

The site shows it priced at $120.00 but I have found $90.00+shipping.  I could get the case and an extra mag pouch shipped for about $120.00.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:17:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Looked at them myself a while back- went with a Bagmaster Discreet Case ... but saw some Galati's at a gun show they looked cheap and felt that way compared to some of the other cases available at the gun show that were also displayed for just $10-$20 more and if they dont indicate that a case floats it means it sinks ? Galati's case had alot of loose threads dangling inside and actually reminded me of being built in those same places that make the $30 leather jackets sold at liquor stores - ever see those ?  Which is why I went with the Bagmaster and keep kicking myself because the vendor at the gnshow was selling the Bagmaster case cheaper than Bagmaster was.  But Galati's case is the top of their line -per their catalog so I imagine the quality lessens... Bagmaster made in the good old USA ...who knows about Galati's ...IMO

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, but your description of a Galati case is WAAAAAAAAAAY OFF!!!  Galati cases are NOWHERE NEAR cheap quality made/look.  I have 3 of them and they are one of the best bang for the buck discreet cases.  I also own a Tac-Force case as well and they both go head to head in toughness in my opinion. There are a TON of people on here who have/use a Galati case.  I've dragged mine through rough terrain and other misc. stuff and it is as tough as nails.

***Your discription of how a Galati case looks and feels is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off par.  IF ANY OF YOU READING THIS are still curious about a Galati case, locate a dealer or go to the next gun show to handle one for yourself.  I strongly suggest not relying on this guys post.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:41:51 AM EDT
[#15]
So Special_FX_45, got any good pics?  Inside, outside, etc.?  How heavy is the fabric?  How is the stitching?  Is the padding close cell foam like the online dealer told me?  Would you take the Galati case over the Tac-Force case, and if so, why?  You are the first positive response on the Galati Discreet Square Cases and this thread has been up since 030406.  I was beginning to think that no one has ever actually purchased and used one.  here  I need good pics and thorough reviews from owners/users of these cases.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:37:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
So Special_FX_45, got any good pics?  Inside, outside, etc.?  How heavy is the fabric?  How is the stitching?  Is the padding close cell foam like the online dealer told me?  Would you take the Galati case over the Tac-Force case, and if so, why?  You are the first positive response on the Galati Discreet Square Cases and this thread has been up since 030406.  I was beginning to think that no one has ever actually purchased and used one.   I would love to find a dealer in my area but no one up here in WA/OR seems to carry this brand.  I have never seen any at the gun shows either.  I am flying blind on this purchase since none of the dealers I have found in my area carry the Galati, Tac-Force or Blackhawk cases!    I need good pics and thorough reviews from owners/users of these cases.

Yes it is  close cell foamed.  I don't have a dealer near me neither so I went to a gun show at luckily found a dealer, BUT he did not have a discreet case on hand or on display.  The thing is, this dealer had other Galati cases (range bags, pistol cases, etc) that's made from the same material as the discreet case and I liked it a lot.  So that day after the gun show, I went to the Galati website and placed my order.  What I suggest is also going to the Galati website and requesting for a Catalog mailed to you.  It's a very detailed/full color catalog that will give you a better insight of the cases.  I'll get pics of my bags up on this site by no later than Monday.

In all honesty, if I had a choice between the Tac-Force Bag and the Galati bag, I would probably go for the Galati.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I'll concede that I only referenced Galati's quality in terms of the price as opposed to BHI Bagmaster Tac-Force etc etc.
I learned a while back the disappointment with poor quality lasts much longer than the thrill of a good deal. It only hurts once ...and believe me moneys' @a premium around here too.
And I referenced Knuckledraggers interest in Galati's cases because I figured he was only willing to spend a certain dollar amount and no more but wanted quality not because I think Galati's cases are junk. I did mention Galati's decending price selection on the three trapazoidal cases that are forever featured in their catalogs but perhaps failed to mentioned its not likely quality improves with a lesser price.
I have fondled Galati's trapazoidal shaped case not the rectangular style i.e 'Discreet' case and was not impressed I was more impressed with Bagmasters gear both companies BTW are located in Missouri so I am reasonbly sure the table @ the gun show I was at which had all the Bagmaster gear was Bagmaster etc etc and so on. It was just my opinion ...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Still no good pics of a Galati Discreet Square Case?  Anyone?  hinking.gif
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm going to be purchasing this one for the same rifle very soon.

www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=20

I played with it at the TT factory store and was nothing short of astounded with the quality AND the price.  It's a great piece of gear.  As a matter of fact, there was nothing at the TT store that wasn't great and didn't seem like it would last a lifetime.  I'm sold on them for most everything.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Tac Force is your friend.  Forget those overpriced bags like ishot, TF is just as good and does the same thing.  Very happy with mine and wouldn't buy anything else.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:47:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Tac Force is your friend.  Forget those overpriced bags like ishot, TF is just as good and does the same thing.  Very happy with mine and wouldn't buy anything else.  

The i-Shot is priced high, but the Tac-Force can't do the same things since it doesn't have the PALS webbing in the main compartment.  The i-Shot is way more flexible on tying down weapons and accessories inside.  Compared to bags like the Blackhawk with just two rows to tie down to and velcro inside, the Tac-Force is a good deal and can do the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#22]
The Galati Gear Cases are extremely well padded with all top notch material with a 100% guarantee. You can see all the features now at www.galatigear.com
We carry both the Galati Gear and the Eagle Discreet Cases, and I would say 85% of customers prefer the Galati over the Eagle once they compare the two.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top