Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/9/2018 11:48:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/9/2018 12:30:59 PM EDT by akconvert]
I have been looking at this scope and here are some pro's and con's as I see it.

Pro's:
Light for a 1-6X
Really well thought out reticle
Quality construction with great glass (correct me if I am wrong)
The entire reticle is illuminated

Con's:
Reticle not daylight bright (Supposedly the reticle is large enough in the horseshoe to make this a non-issue)
Warranty is only 10 years from a small company

Why are they not more popular? It seems like to get a well thought out BDC reticle the two choices are the ACSS and the GRSC. To get a quality scope with the ACSS you have to purchase the PA 1-8X24 Platinum and it weighs 27oz which is a full 10 oz more.

It seems like this optic would be more popular. Is there another scope that has a reticle as well thought out as the ACSS or GRSC built to similar quality levels that is light?

What am I missing? Why is there not a lot of love for the GRSC 1-6X24?

Thanks for your input guys.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:23:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/9/2018 8:44:22 PM EDT by Blackfoot_7]
Originally Posted By akconvert:
I have been looking at this scope and here are some pro's and con's as I see it.

Pro's:
Light for a 1-6X
Really well thought out reticle
Quality construction with great glass (correct me if I am wrong)
The entire reticle is illuminated

Con's:
Reticle not daylight bright (Supposedly the reticle is large enough in the horseshoe to make this a non-issue)
Warranty is only 10 years from a small company

Why are they not more popular? It seems like to get a well thought out BDC reticle the two choices are the ACSS and the GRSC. To get a quality scope with the ACSS you have to purchase the PA 1-8X24 Platinum and it weighs 27oz which is a full 10 oz more.

It seems like this optic would be more popular. Is there another scope that has a reticle as well thought out as the ACSS or GRSC built to similar quality levels that is light?

What am I missing? Why is there not a lot of love for the GRSC 1-6X24?

Thanks for your input guys.
View Quote
The GRSC 1-6x was the very first LPVO I purchased back around 2013. At 17 oz, and with the great M4-62 it was an attractive package. It is supposedly manufactured at LOW in Japan also (so I've been told). The price was decent for what it offered, but it priced itself out of a market where guys were either going to go cheap (sub $1K) or go high (north of $2K) at the time, or going with options in a similar price range, but with a proven track record. Overall it's a combination of several factors: a start-up without a proven track record, cost, limited warranty, and features that limited it's use to a niche group (read lack of a reticle options). I liked the optic overall. Optical quality was very good, but not the best in it's class, and the reticle design has been emulated without proper credit due to Ed Verdugo. I also liked the capped turrets and form factor. If the GRSC had been made and marketed by a well known optics manufacturer, I'm sure you'd see a lot more out there. But newer LPVOs have saturated the market since then, and I think it will always be overlooked as a viable option as long as it has no dominant market presence and doesn't offer something unique at a more attractive price point.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 4:47:08 PM EDT
I shot one in 3 gun for a year, worst scope I owned that was not a cheap Chinese knock off. I bought the GRSC because I wanted a 6 power scope to shot passed 300+ yards. Sold it bought a Razor HD when they came out. I still have the Razor, unless I spend way over $2000 there is no other scope I would buy.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 12:14:01 PM EDT
I tested one.... I was impressed with virtually everything, but no daylight visible illumination makes it a non starter..
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 3:52:38 PM EDT
I like the 1-6x24 a lot.

I think it lends itself extremely well to a DM optic, with a lot of usable features for shooting at distance.

It would be perfect for close range with a center illuminated Fire Dot like on a Leupold or S&B.

I've been asking various optics manufacturers to offer the GRSC reticle, because their reticles for this type of scope fall short in most cases.

The ACSS reticles are obviously influenced by GRSC.

For a 3-gunner, there are other options with daylight-visible dots and simpler reticles for KD distances.

For UKD, the GRSC reticle really is a natural, intuitive system that I have not really seen anything else come close to.

For more open spaces like in the Western US or any desert environment, it's a superb combat optic.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:17:48 PM EDT
I’ve always wanted to get my hands on one. Another that has sparked my interest is the C-More C3 1-6. The reticle is nice but it’s almost as heavy as the Razor

C-More C3
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 1:59:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/12/2018 2:02:44 AM EDT by californiasushi]
I'd very much prefer the Leupold Mk6 1-6x's 5.56 CMR-W reticle for that kind of reticle. To me, it's better designed. I also like that the Mk6 has locking turrets so you can add elevation without worrying about the turrets moving accidentally. With a Xmas tree reticle it might seem unnecessary but it can be handy to do so to engage smaller targets with the .5 MOA center dot on the Mk6 or to add a couple clicks of elevation to get the elevation hold to line up with the windage marks better instead of holding in space for both windage and elevation.

Daytime bright illumination in a FFP scope with a horseshoe type reticle is important for speed at 1x IMO. The difference between the Mk6 with daytime bright illumination and the Bushnell 1-6.5x FFP I had is pretty substantial.

The FOV spec is also not good, at only 98' @ 1x.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:40:30 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By californiasushi:
I'd very much prefer the Leupold Mk6 1-6x's 5.56 CMR-W reticle for that kind of reticle. To me, it's better designed. I also like that the Mk6 has locking turrets so you can add elevation without worrying about the turrets moving accidentally. With a Xmas tree reticle it might seem unnecessary but it can be handy to do so to engage smaller targets with the .5 MOA center dot on the Mk6 or to add a couple clicks of elevation to get the elevation hold to line up with the windage marks better instead of holding in space for both windage and elevation.

Daytime bright illumination in a FFP scope with a horseshoe type reticle is important for speed at 1x IMO. The difference between the Mk6 with daytime bright illumination and the Bushnell 1-6.5x FFP I had is pretty substantial.

The FOV spec is also not good, at only 98' @ 1x.
View Quote
When speaking with Ed Verdugo on the phone several years ago about the evolution of his reticle design and how the GRSC came to be, he mentioned that he approached various optic companies for years before investing his own dime in producing his first 1-4x LPVO. IIRC he was campaigning to sell his reticle design to major company's with U.S. Optics and Leupold being among some of them. At the time he was told that a 1-6x power scope was not something they were interested in producing because supposedly there was no real market for that power range. Nevertheless, Leupold ended up producing the Mark 6 and introduced the CMR-W reticle, which apparently was heavily influenced by Ed's reticle design. At least that's how I remember it. Granted, Ed's reticle had the awesome head/circle ranging capability, which I thought was pretty neat, but was specifically designed for engaging human targets. At any rate, considering this was all mostly an individual effort by a former Special Forces team guy, I really wanted him and his company to be successful, improve on some of the shortcomings, and crank out more options. But it's another sad case of the little guy being crushed by big corporations with a lot more resources and dominating market presence.
Top Top