Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 8:24:02 PM EDT
Anybody know anything about the GG&G UFIR?  Thinking about using one to mount a light to my gun instead of buying an entire FF railed Forend like the DD or KAC.

Input on one of these things would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of these installed on a DISSY upper.  The only problem that I had was that the first and last holes (there are three, IIRC) did not center perfectly with the holes on the HG's.  The screws would hit the edges of the vent holes.  Not a big deal, but I was not happy.  I called them up and let them know about the slight problem I had.  The rep told me that they were going to look into it, as they had had similar complaints.  

I currenlty have a SF M962SUO6 on the mount. The mount is as solid as it can be on an HG.  I imagine if the rifle were used in the field, the mount could possibly break off from the HG as it's only plastic, but I don't think that'll happen anytime soon, as I'm not a SWAT guy or gonna use it to hunt down terrorist over in the big sandbox.

Another option for you may be the Advanced Armamanet Corp rail.  I heard it fits perfectly and it's cheaper.

Another thing about the GGG UFIR is that you HAVE to mount it ALL THE WAY FORWARD so that the first hole in the UFIR mates up with the first ventilation hole on the HG.  I guess some people were not doing this and were having all kinds of problems trying to align the the holes.

At any rate, for what I'm using my rifle for I'm happy with my UFIR rail.  However, if I would have known about the AAC rail, I may have gone with that one instead because it's simply cheaper.  I mean, how much of a difference in quality can there be in making a rail?  I could be wrong, though.

Edited to add link to AAC:

www.advanced-armament.com/products/ar15.asp
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:32:11 AM EDT
[#2]
The fact that the screws contact the ends of the cover holes is partly responsable for its being a solid mounting.  Also the fact that it is insulated from barrel[direct] contact is a plus.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think they are solid enough for a vertical grip, but for just a light they are fine.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:14:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't think they are solid enough for a vertical grip, but for just a light they are fine.

Iam sure that you are correct about that. My reference was in responce to the fact that it did work in his light application. Solidly as can be expected, partly enhanced by the allignment, or in his view, missalignment of the mounting holes. If the two outer holes in the mount put the hardware at the outermost part of their respective mounting holes in the handgard, This enhances the assembly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top