Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/6/2005 5:32:29 PM EDT
Hi guys,
I'm girlfriend wants her own AR and I'm more than happy to build her one but there's two important features it must have.

1. it has to be as light as possible.
2. it has to be purple.

I looked at the Bushmaster Carbon 15 but I would really prefer it have standard CAR hand guards and stock.

Any suggestions or advise would greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like your GF is a keeper.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sounds like your GF is a keeper.

+1 Marry her!
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 marry her.   I'm still happy my girlfriend shot up all of my 9mm the second time I took her to the range (and the second time she ever shot).  She said she felt bad and didnt' know it was *all* my 9mm, but I was more then happy to let her.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Does she have a sister?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#5]
You have no idea how lucky you are!

I beg my wife and theres no way she will come out shooting with me, she hates guns.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#6]
My girlfriend Tammy's Dissy.  And yes, she loves the bayo, "larger potential wound cavity" she says.

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Contact these guys and ask them if they can make one in purple for you, if they say yes, then arrange it with your local FFL.

The Cav arms rifles are nice, maybe not as nice as the newer Bushmaster Carbon-15 M4s, but still nice, very light and functional.

I know Bushmaster doesn't do fancy colors with the newer Carbon-15 Model 4s... I asked them and they said no [could have changed since then, however]. But I know for a fact that I've seen Cav-15s in weird colors, so I would think they'd do that for you... How much it would cost is another issue.

I'd suggest going with the 16" mid length over the 14.5" with the long flash supressor... Just a personal thing, she might like the 14.5" for all I know.... Ask her about it.

If Cav Arms won't make one for you, you could always just buy a regular aluminum AR-15 [Bushmaster, Armalite, Rock River, etc] and krylon it purple or something... Not like enough people aroundhere haven't painted their rifles in all manner of weird colors .
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Just get it Koted.

Simon
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Had you seen my wifes Gun???

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=230097&page=4
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If you don't want the Carbon M4 by Bushy (and I'm more a fan of the Aluminum myself).

I'd suggest a Bushy Superlightweight with a telestock - light and the stock length can be adjusted to fit her.

2. it has to be purple.

Cav Arms no longer makes/sells the purple stuff unless you want to put in a large order.

IIRC they sold all their colored stock sets off to one of their dealers.  You should be able to contact that dealer in the CavArms forum.

Other options include krylon (cheap & easy but not very durable) or one of the better coating systems.  IIRC Brasspile does this kind of work (see below):
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#11]
i just showed my wife that pink AR and she said build me one like that!
w00t #3 build starts
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i just showed my wife that pink AR and she said build me one like that!
w00t #3 build starts

Ask her if she really wants the A1 triangluar front handguard, or the regular round one...
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#14]
i don't have a sugestion, but once you do find one that works... run, don't walk, to the gun store.

i have been married for about 8 years and have been trying to get my wife to go shooting with me.  it's taken over 8 years and a lot of personal tragedy to get her to finally go to the range.

count your lucky stars.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Bushmaster makes two type of Carbon 15 rifles, one takes the ultra light weight stock and special uper light weight upper. The other takes the std. buttstock and plastic lower/upper with a std. M4 front end. Not as light weight but takes the std. CAR stock you want.

Paint as needed.

I've never painted carbon conposite... Not sure what the results would be...

Can't see any reason it wouldn't work... I just haven't seen it done.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#16]
That poor rifle!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
i don't have a sugestion, but once you do find one that works... run, don't walk, to the gun store.

Wouldn't that be considered a suggestion?

But +1 to said suggestion... Run to the gun store once you find a rifle that fits her needs m35a2... Then run to the nearest Church... without the gun, but with a ring .
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Hi guys,
I'm girlfriend wants her own AR and I'm more than happy to build her one but there's two important features it must have.

2. it has to be purple.

I looked at the Bushmaster Carbon 15 but I would really prefer it have standard CAR hand guards and stock.

Don't be ghey
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#19]
+2 on the Bushy superlight. saveing that 3/4 -1lb or whatever the savings is doesn't seem like much but it shure makes for a handy feeling gun. If you go crazy with makeing it a uber light gun you might run into felt recoil issues. Go the extra mile to find out what type of stock is most comfortable (for the GF) and what type of sighting system (red dot,acog,high or low power scope ect)
How about some type of fitted case with areas provided for the gun,scope,red dot,detachable carry handle
bipod ,Ceiner kit , and some mags.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 1:16:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Make sure you post a pic.... err, of the gun....  

I have yet to ask my wife, maybe I should...

Gene
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:08:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:38:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hi guys,

2. it has to be purple.

Don't be ghey

That gave me a nice early morning laugh. But yeah, remember it's for his girlfriend.

Oh and M35, CONGRATULATIONS!!! That's pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 3:44:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I like the suggestion someone made recommending the Bushmaster Superlight

and if you must..........have it painted

But buy one that YOU would want.

GF's come and go, and you are 50/50 likely to end up with this AR15 for yourself...
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 3:46:50 AM EDT
[#24]
If she wants one, why isn't she buying her own?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 3:49:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't think carbon fiber will hold paint well. I have a Carbon 15, but haven't tried painting it .
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 3:49:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I like the suggestion someone made recommending the Bushmaster Superlight

and if you must..........have it painted

But buy one that YOU would want.

GF's come and go, and you are 50/50 likely to end up with this AR15 for yourself...

Yeah......My wife was a shooter and ended up running off with a local 1911'smith.

B^%&^
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:56:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Cavalry Arms makes a very light lower, however the one that is at my house is all one piece, and the stock was pretty long.  It was a rather uncomfortably long length of pull.

My boyfriend was threatening to put pink or purple furniture on my AR that he was building for me.  I told him I prefer the basic black.  He bought me a Rock River lower for it with the collapsible stock and the two stage trigger.  Very nice.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:06:48 AM EDT
[#28]
How long have you been dating?  Reason I ask is you need to have been around her long enough to determine if she's crazy or not.  I have had several that seemed normal at first, but a year down the road, and the skeletons started falling out of the closet - you don't want to arm the crazy ones!!

I'd get her a Bushy ultra-light (I don't know why they haven't mated their ultra-light barrel with their CF upper and lower yet), and let her to the painting.  I couldn't make it purple.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
If she wants one, why isn't she buying her own?

That's what I always wonder when these threads come up.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#30]
L.T.M. Refinishing seem to be looking for business on this forum.  From the looks of it, they can DuraCoat the ENTIRE gun for you.  Not just the furniture.

Pink Furniture

Blue reciever?

L.T.M. Refinishing Thread
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=303470
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:03:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
- you don't want to arm the crazy ones!!

Some of us come pre-armed.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:50:18 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
L.T.M. Refinishing seem to be looking for business on this forum.  From the looks of it, they can DuraCoat the ENTIRE gun for you.  Not just the furniture.

Pink Furniture
www.larsontactical.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/dcr_66.jpg
Blue reciever?
www.larsontactical.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/dcr_33.jpg

L.T.M. Refinishing Thread
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=303470

Yes, and if she buys the weapon, its a great idea.  If he is paying for this, he might as well grab a can of krylon, spray the furniture with a few coats, and call it good.  He can then replace, or change the furniture color for the next one.....
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Cavalry Arms no longer makes or carries colored furniture. All that is left, is available from Ameetec Arms
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#34]
i wouldnt be secure enough to build like some of those.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Yes, and if she buys the weapon, its a great idea.  If he is paying for this, he might as well grab a can of krylon, spray the furniture with a few coats, and call it good.  He can then replace, or change the furniture color for the next one.....

Indeed.  Especially if it's a shittastic A2 grip, plain jane telestock, and crappy handguards.  I would have to kill him if he DuraCoated an LMT SOPMOD or CAR style furniture.  Of course if the girls goes the AR stays.  For the next girl!

"Say baby check out this gun I made for ya"
"Oh my gosh!  It's pink and it's so pretty!"
"Yeah baby that's right, wanna go shootin' sometime?"
"With you anytime!  You big ole hunk of sexy man"

GIT R HER DONE
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
i wouldnt be secure enough to build like some of those.

There was a former leo here (med-cop) who used a pink CavArms mkI as his entry weapon.
He actually built it through donations from the site members here.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Hi guys,
Yes your all right she is definitely a keeper, I knew that two weeks after I took she shooting for her first time and she showed up at my house with a brand new SS S&W snub nose and said look what I picked up today, lets go shooting.

I'm not too worried about recoil, she'll sit at the bench all day with my M1A, it's just at 5' 1" 98lbs my M4 clone starts getting heavy for her when were out walking the property looking for hedgehogs and such.

As far as it being purple, hey that's what she wants so that's what she'll get and I'm sure if I sling my HK91 over my back smoke a cigar and crank Vagner on the stereo I should be able to keep the ghey away while building it. But thanks for the concern.

And if down the road she ends up splitting with the AR, believe me gentlemen that's  far less troubling of a thought than the cars, motorcycles and dogs past girlfriends have left with.

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.

M35a2
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Which one of you fuckers bought the last set of pink furniture today!  I just going to order a set!!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Which one of you fuckers bought the last set of pink furniture today!  I just going to order a set!!!

You'll just have to go with purple instead!  
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#40]
moosemcnally,
E-mailed a photo of your wife's rifle to the gf and I think that's the ticket, a superlite and a Lavender DuraCoat job. How long ago was it done and has there been any durable issues with it? Any thing else I should know before placing the order? Thanks!

M35a2
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#41]
My wife wont go to the range with me either.... She will buy gun things for me for birthday and christmas if i pick them out so she dont dislike guns just dont want anything to do with them. Now my 19 yr old daughter is another thing   SHE LOVES SHOOTING  started out with a 22 ruger pistol then rifle the started shooting my Glock 19 9mm  love that one and shoots 8 of 10 in the bulls eye     great shot    thennnnnnnnnnnn     she started shooting my new bushy AR 20 inch and loves it . she shoots well with iron sights or scope.  Now for a dad to watch her shoot 9mm and the AR i love it and just keep loading the mags.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Me and my girlfirend just had our 6th month annaversiry.  I can still remember the first time she opened my closet door.  <her> Damn....<her>, so i go walking over, "what"?  <her>you into guns much?<her>, hell yea, their my life.  For a few mins why she was lookin around, i didnt know how to take it, until she ask if i would take her shooting the next day.  Shaaaawing,  My x before her hated guns, so i take her shooting and now she wants a mossberg 590 SS for her self, but the problem is she isnt into ARs that much, but im trying.  for the current all i have is an old ARMS CORP .22 M1600, she likes to shoot it but not as much as goin n shooting shotguns.  But i think she'll convert to AR's when i get the bushmaster 16in with izzy FS.  

Get R Done, Get R Did, Flip R Over N do R again.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:11:25 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Cavalry Arms no longer makes or carries colored furniture. All that is left, is available from Ameetec Arms
ameetecarms.com/Images/A1%20buttstocks%20COLORS.jpg

That's a pity.

The colors of the last Army unit I was with was gold and black.

I had this idea of buying a Cav Arms buttstock and yellow furniture and putting it on my M16.  Or get a yellow Lower and yellow furniture for my 11½ inch Upper and SBRing it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top