Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2005 10:46:29 PM EDT
These may be  dumb questions, but I don't know the answer, so I have to ask.

-What does the gas tube do?

-Will my AR operate with out the gas tube?

-If I buy a new barrel ( say, a 16"), does it normally come with a new gas tube that fits that size?

If you could help me out, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks

Gene

"We sleep safely in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"
-George Orwell-
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:49:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
These may be  dumb questions, but I don't know the answer, so I have to ask.

-What does the gas tube do?

To put it simply, It blows back gas into the bolt to charge it.

NO! .......... BUT  as GHOSTRING  said - you can fire your AR without the gas tube but you will have to pull back the charging handle everytime to eject the spent case and charge in a new round. Much like a bolt action rifle.  

-If I buy a new barrel ( say, a 16"), does it normally come with a new gas tube that fits that size?

No. That is an additional buy. Unless you get a complete upper.

If you could help me out, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks

Gene

"We sleep safely in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"
-George Orwell-

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]

NO!

Well, single shot only I think...
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks EYE SPY, now I know.

Gene

-George Orwell-
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#4]
No problem Gene.... Just holler and we'll be happy to help.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:14:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
-What does the gas tube do? As already stated, it delivers gas to the bolt carrier, unlocking the bolt and allowing the action to cycle.

-Will my AR operate with out the gas tube?  Depends on your definition of operate.  It will fire just fine but the bolt will stay locked with an empty in the chamber.  It would basically be a straight-pull bolt action rifle.  Also, if you didn''t plug the hole in teh front sight base you'd get a blast of high pressure air coming back at you.

-If I buy a new barrel ( say, a 16"), does it normally come with a new gas tube that fits that size?  Depends on where you buy it from.  many come with a tube and many others don't.  Be sure to check with the vendor when you order.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top