User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2011 5:28:42 PM EDT
Which light for a home defense AR the G2 LED or 6Px Tactical
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Surefire G2 LED with Q5 Cree LED replacement from TNVC. Or if you want a full metal light, 6P original with the Q5.
$115.
If you don't want to use a replacement LED, get the 6PX, it's much brighter.

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 3:00:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I already have both lights. I got the 6px when it first camr out and it was $65
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 4:14:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought the G2 was discontinued.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 4:19:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

See my above post I already own both
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:23:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See my above post I already own both

Oh, well in that case... Definitely the 6PX. Much brighter and more capable light.

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:58:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I got a 6PxTactical instead of using the G2 led I own. Plenty of other roles for the G2. Glad I did - it's very nice.  BTW: Different size rings for my LT606.

-JC
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 6:14:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Use the G2L.  The 6PX doesn't have a spring between the battery and LED circuit board, which could cause the LED to fail under recoil.

Surefire states on the packaging that it is not for weapon mounted applications.

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 6:24:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Use the G2L.  The 6PX doesn't have a spring between the battery and LED circuit board, which could cause the LED to fail under recoil.

Surefire states on the packaging that it is not for weapon mounted applications.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i187/cland72/IMAG0122.jpg

Hmmm, good point. However, Surefire also says the G2 and 6P are not for weapon mounted applications.

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm, good point. However, Surefire also says the G2 and 6P are not for weapon mounted applications.

I asked them if the G2/6P series would work on an AR, and they said that "While we make weapon mounted lights for weapon applications, the 6P and G2 series lights will do just fine"
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I asked them if the G2/6P series would work on an AR, and they said that "While we make weapon mounted lights for weapon applications, the 6P and G2 series lights will do just fine"

I use them too and they have been great. I'm just saying... They aren't technically weapon lights.

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Put "weapon" in front of the word "light" and you can jack the price up 60 bucks or more.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Put "weapon" in front of the word "light" and you can jack the price up 60 bucks or more.

You realize that there are actually differences in a lot of cases and that they don't just raise the price and put "weapon" on the packaging, right?

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes I do know that.  However there are lots of lights that work just fine in a weapon mounted application that don't cost nearly as much.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes I do know that.  However there are lots of lights that work just fine in a weapon mounted application that don't cost nearly as much.

There are lots of lights that are used for weapon mounted applications that may potentially fail, but just have not yet...

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I think it is safe to say that surefire has shock isolated bezels on their weapon lights for a reason.  I wouldn't put a light on my gun that didn't have at least a spring on both the positive and negative ends of the batteries.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 4:12:34 AM EDT
[#16]
so i ended up putting the G2 led on my rifle but if I wanted to get the upgraded led which one would I need? is it the standard G2 or G2L?
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#17]
If you want an upgrade, look at the malkoff m61 drop in

Link Posted: 11/13/2011 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#18]
The G2L is pathetic, too weak.  The 6PX is much brighter, although I would get the polymer version.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The G2L is pathetic, too weak.  The 6PX is much brighter, although I would get the polymer version.

I like the level of light from the G2L for inside applications, especially if I'm responding to something after waking up.  I have a surefire E2DL at 200 lumens, and if I turn that on in a room, it causes me to involuntarily squint.  The 80 Lumen G2L doesn't do this, but still provides plenty of light.

Outdoor work, it's good out to about 50 yards.  I shoot targets at that distance in total darkness, and it works to identify them.

If I needed a dedicated outdoor weaponlight, I would get a Surefire scout light, or maybe just put in a malkoff module.  But for indoor use the malkoff is rated higher than my E2DL and the scount lights are the same, and I think it would be too much.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Ideally, a Scout, but its not exactly cheap, and you're not asking about that. But if its for indoors, a G2L will work fine; maybe even consider the Streamlight TLR-1. However, if you want to use it outside, a G2L with a Malkoff or TNVC drop in, would be better. Also check out Elzetta lights.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
so i ended up putting the G2 led on my rifle but if I wanted to get the upgraded led which one would I need? is it the standard G2 or G2L?

I have the same question.  If I intend to use an aftermarket LED drop-in unit, like a Cree or Malkov, should I get a G2 or a G2L?  Or does it matter?
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the same question.  If I intend to use an aftermarket LED drop-in unit, like a Cree or Malkov, should I get a G2 or a G2L?  Or does it matter?

I don't think you can remove the LED module from the G2Ls (at least not the later produced G2Ls), so you'd need the G2 if you want to take out the P60 incandescent module and replace with say a Malkoff.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:05:48 AM EDT
[#23]
having my g2x fail right outta box has made me think twice about such applications.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think you can remove the LED module from the G2Ls (at least not the later produced G2Ls), so you'd need the G2 if you want to take out the P60 incandescent module and replace with say a Malkoff.

You're right. If it has the kx4 head you won't be able to replace the lamp module.  It just needs a z44 bezel.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Just call kevin at Brightflashlights...I have a G2 with Z44 bezel, XM07 tailcap and switch, and TNVC Q5 on my AR15 and it  is still rock solid with about 2000 rounds through the gun with it mounted, not to mention it's a light weight package with a ton of throw. When I picked that light up, I called Kevin and he hooked me up with the G2 host and I just ordered the drop-in from TNVC. I also just decided to pick up a handheld for general purposes and I called him to see what he could do, and before I hung up he had hooked me up with a Z2l host and a Malkoff M61 that he put in for me...and the best part is, I paid less than a stock Z2L would have costed me and I got a Malkoff drop-in. It's well worth the call...(352) 732-2156
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top