Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2002 11:00:12 AM EDT
In my TM it tells me to use Molybdenum Disulfide lube on the barrel threads for ease of barrel removel in the future, are there any substitutes for this, since I have none of this on hand.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Stop by any local gas station (that actually does service work) and ask them for a finger-full of disk brake wheel bearing grease.  This is the dark gray stuff!  Most high-temp bearing grease is Moly based.  You only need a tiny amount to lube the receiver threads.  It will work fine in lieu of of the spec stuff.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Russ thanks I have some of that here I will use it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to any auto parts store and get a small tube of anti-sieze. A 1 oz tube costs about $4. A little goes a long way. Use on stock and grip screws too,anything you want to get apart easly in the future.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, Permatex Anti-Seize works just fine. I've used Never-Seize too. The main difference AFAIK is that Anti-Seize has copper particles and Never-Seize has aluminum particles in it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Auto parts stores, especially those that carry performance items or most any automotive machine shop should carry ARP lube. This is a special moly lube specified by ARP (manufacturer of quality fasteners for racing applications) for achieving proper torque with their fasteners. Usually used on head bolts/studs and connecting rod bolts. Great stuff, see these links. http://www.arp-bolts.com/ buyt it from JEG's http://www.jegs.com/
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I also have anti seize, makes sense also.

Thanks.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top