Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 5:12:46 PM EDT
I was walking around the hardware store and found the Krylon display among those cans of fun I found some Krylon Special Purpose Non-Skid and thought it would be perfect for refinishing some mags.

By adding Non-Skid to magazines I could be solving a problem that does not exist, but it was worth a shot.

After three hours of anxious anticipation I am happy with the end result .

I taped off the top and bottom so that I would not have any trouble inserting the mag or putting the baseplate back on.

Now time to do the other two mags.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The point of that is?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:07:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The point of that is?

im guessing so that he could get a better grip on the mags
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:20:13 AM EDT
[#3]
While it will increase your grip on the mags, it will probably also increase your mag's grip on each other. If you use any sort of pouch that has 2 or more mags pressed together, I'm guessing that you may get an extra mag flying out when you yank a mag out of your pouch. It also may cause the mags to be difficult to remove from the pouch itself.

Still, A+ for effort ;)

Mike
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:37:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I am only going to do three range mags. And I do not mag-cinch my range mags or put them in a pouch, so this works for me.

But you are right they would hang up on each other, so that is why I am leaving my other mags the way they are.

It was just something to do to pass the time
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Not a bad idea other than the aformentioned. Probably would fine at the range especially on a hot day with sweatty hands. Let me ask you this. Care to guess on your thickness after spraying and how it would react on wood or varnished wood? Does the can have any specs on the operating temperature range? I'm thinking it might be better than what I've seen done with truckbed liner.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Copied this off the label.

Surfaces: Most concrete, vinyl tile, metal, and wood.  Not for use on plastic, fiberglass, tubs,
                or showers.
Coverage: 20 square feet.
Temp: 40F and 85F         Use in low humidity

It is extremely thin.  Like two coats of spraypaint.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I've used this stuff on nasty AK wood furnature, It works great for that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
While it will increase your grip on the mags, it will probably also increase your mag's grip on each other. If you use any sort of pouch that has 2 or more mags pressed together, I'm guessing that you may get an extra mag flying out when you yank a mag out of your pouch. It also may cause the mags to be difficult to remove from the pouch itself.

Still, A+ for effort ;)

Mike

You will have the same problem with original-style Magpuls.  Use modular single mag pouches and eliminate a lot of problems at once.

I think he had an interesting idea and experimented with it, nothing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#10]
very cool idea.... here's an enhancement idea:

what if you only coated the front and back edges of the mags, and not the sides at all?  When you grab a mag, and your fingers are on the front and your thumb on the back, you'd get a better grip surface. BUT, you wouldn't make the mags any wider or cause two (or more) side by side in a pouch to "grab each other"... might even help hold them in the pouch when pulling it's neighbor out.

could move the idea from a "range only" use for general use.

just my 2/100 of a buck.

No Expert
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've used this stuff on nasty AK wood furnature, It works great for that.

Yep. That's what I was thinking. Thanx JJ & Saint!
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top