Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2012 9:56:18 PM EDT
I am looking at getting another AR15 and I am interested in something with free float hand rail and longer barrel - "varmint type" AR15.
I noticed that many of the bull barrel or "varmit" AR15s with fluted barrels have a non ventilated rail or a carbon fiber non ventilated rail - such as the DPMS Praire.

Does this not affect the cooling of the barrel?  It seems an obvious yes but many manufacturers use them including colt target ARs.  Also i would think this cause a varied temperature spread on the barrel since some of it is exposed and half or more covered by the cylindrical rail.

I have a basic AR and want a better "target" type AR but that can also be used to hunt such as the DPMS Praire.

Any comments if this is a valid concern ?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Precision shooters tend to not shoot enough, rapidly enough for significant heating to be a factor - significant heat buildup being a primary factor in premature damage/"wear out" of a precision barrel.

Vents will increase the rate of cooling, but there's plenty of heat dissipation via radiative cooling anyway.

It's a non issue as far as accuracy etc.  If you need confirmation that a non-vented aluminum handguard won't affect accuracy you should look at how service match rifles are put together.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:11:31 AM EDT
[#2]
No problems, in 3 gun we wrap the tube with paracord to help deal with the heat.  The tube gets hot after some high round count stages that are short on time.  I never noticed the heat during use, but carrying the rifle around during scoring you notice the tube heat.  Never noticed any walking of the rifle off target due to a hot barrel and tube, but I use a HBAR contour barrel.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:39:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Topic Moved
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top