Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/19/2012 8:56:18 PM EST
I am looking at getting another AR15 and I am interested in something with free float hand rail and longer barrel - "varmint type" AR15.
I noticed that many of the bull barrel or "varmit" AR15s with fluted barrels have a non ventilated rail or a carbon fiber non ventilated rail - such as the DPMS Praire.

Does this not affect the cooling of the barrel? It seems an obvious yes but many manufacturers use them including colt target ARs. Also i would think this cause a varied temperature spread on the barrel since some of it is exposed and half or more covered by the cylindrical rail.

I have a basic AR and want a better "target" type AR but that can also be used to hunt such as the DPMS Praire.

Any comments if this is a valid concern ?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:41:28 PM EST
Precision shooters tend to not shoot enough, rapidly enough for significant heating to be a factor - significant heat buildup being a primary factor in premature damage/"wear out" of a precision barrel.

Vents will increase the rate of cooling, but there's plenty of heat dissipation via radiative cooling anyway.

It's a non issue as far as accuracy etc. If you need confirmation that a non-vented aluminum handguard won't affect accuracy you should look at how service match rifles are put together.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:11:31 AM EST
No problems, in 3 gun we wrap the tube with paracord to help deal with the heat. The tube gets hot after some high round count stages that are short on time. I never noticed the heat during use, but carrying the rifle around during scoring you notice the tube heat. Never noticed any walking of the rifle off target due to a hot barrel and tube, but I use a HBAR contour barrel.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:39:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 2:39:04 AM EST by Lancelot]
Topic Moved
Top Top