Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2005 9:47:28 AM EDT
Hi boardmembers,
This is one of my first posts here on the board. I'm a AK fan for several years but had just the opertunity to get a AR15 long version with a non retractable stock. So now I want to convert it to one with a retract. stock and short frontgrip like a M4 has. Is there some one who can give me the mesurements of such a short frontgrip pleasehref=http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1371/handgripfront4fq.th.jpg
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/8615/frontgrip7qx.th.jpg
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Its the standard carbine handguard, which is only one size.  You may want to note that you show a picture of a carbine handguard, while you talk about a M4 handguard, and they are two different things.

You may want to clarify if you actually need measurements for some reason.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Handguards come in 3 sizes - carbine length, mid-length, and rifle length.

Carbine length is around 7"
Mid Length is around 9"
Rifle Length is around 12"

M4 handguards are Carbine length, but more oval (fatter) with double heat sheilds.

Does this answer your question?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:04:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi Forest, thanks...yes this answer a part of my question about the lenght, I believe this is the total lenght of n° 2 in my drawing...yes?, but what are the mesurement of n° 3 and 4. I would like to now this because I'm gonna make one myself but if I ever want to buy a original I want it to fit on the barrel.
Stick thanks also for the reply, the picture was just for documentation if my drawing wasn't good enough
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:52:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm a AK fan for several years but had just the opertunity to get a AR15 long version... now I want to convert it to one with a... short frontgrip like a M4 has.

If you really want to do that you're going to have to swap out your ”rifle length” gas system for a “carbine length” gas system (i.e. a barrel change) as your current “long handguards” are protecting your gas tube.

I assume you’re trying for the “AK look”?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
but what are the mesurement of n° 3 and 4. I would like to now this because I'm gonna make one myself but if I ever want to buy a original I want it to fit on the barrel.

If you're going to do this yourself I'd suggest buying a pair of handguards then taking measurements.  The handguard interface on the barrel nut end is a bit more complex then a single measurement, as there is a groved channel inside to fit around the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#6]
1-Michigun who nows, perhaps I'm addicted to a AKSU look yes I'm going to do this by myself, I own a machineshop like with lathe's and stuff and I'm doing several jobs for a local gunsmith but I'm not trusted with this AR rifles at all. I have spare barrels, nuts, gastube.... the lot , so I can choose the lenght I want.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top