Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2005 8:34:19 AM EDT
I didn't think I'd ever get that spring and detent for the front take down pin in place. I launched the first one from the living room into the kitchen only never to be seen again.
I know they make a tool for just that purpose but I don't have one, at least yet. Finaly figured out a relatively easy way to install it using a 1/4" punch and a hobby knife.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#1]
An easier way is to purchase a 1/4" clevis pin at the hardware store, about a buck. This is the pin with a series of holes in the shaft.

Insert the pin into the receiver from the left side. Line up one of the holes with the hole for the detent. Drop the spring and detent down the lined up holes. Use a smaller punch or something to compress the spring enough and rotate the clevis pin. The detent and spring are now captured. Push the clevis pin out of the receiver with your pivot pin. Snap! You're done!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Gee guys...........the tool only costs $5.00........don't be so dam cheap.  It really makes the task simple.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for that clevis pin tip, I'll have to keep that one in mind. I looked for a tool at yesterday's gun show but couldn't find one.

I wound up inserting my 1/4" roll pin punch in the left side of the receiver. Compressing the detent and spring with the blade of the hobby knife while sliding the punch over the detent.  The punch is extended over the now compressed detent and spring. Once in place, the front take down pin is used to push the punch out of the hole while the detent and spring assume their position of function.
I still need to pick up a replacement spring and detent to replace the one I launched into the kitchen. Perhaps I'll pick up one of those tools while I'm at it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe I drilled the detent spring pocket a tad deep on my 80% but I had no ploblems whatsoever getting it in with no tools. When I heard they made a tool for that I was kinda surprised.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Gee guys...........the tool only costs $5.00........don't be so dam cheap.  It really makes the task simple.

+1

but i built my first with no tool, simple but the tool does help
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:59:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I made this a while back and it works good for me.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Maybe I drilled the detent spring pocket a tad deep on my 80% but I had no ploblems whatsoever getting it in with no tools. When I heard they made a tool for that I was kinda surprised.

I recently built up a Superior Arms and a Stag receiver. The Superior had a deeper hole too. Deep enough for the spring and maybe 1/3rd of the detent pin. No problem at all.

The Stag wasn't nearly as deep (in spec.?) and I had to fiddle around to get the pin in place. Launched the detent and spring once, but found them.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top