Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/13/2004 2:49:08 AM EST
Is Bushmaster selling "pre-ban" front sights? I've spent a damn hour looking for it on their web page with no luck.

Keving67
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:27:19 AM EST
No, they don't sell them separate. If you buy a preban barrel from them, they will install the barrel for free and ship your rifle with the old barrel back to you.

If you plan on trying to swap FSB from one barrel to another, good luck. There is no standard for where the taper pin holes are drilled/reamed and virtually no barrel has them in the same spot.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:38:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By mongo001:
virtually no barrel has them in the same spot.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:09:12 AM EST
Ah hell. I'll give it a try at least.

Might end up buying a new barrel if its not looking good.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:21:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 6:22:20 AM EST by garr]
Drilling & reaming for taper pins is not that difficult, Check out the Front Sight & Brake installation.
Its not exactly the same but is very similar to what needs to be done to install a new FSB on an AR15.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:36:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 9:05:26 AM EST by mongo001]

Originally Posted By garr:
Drilling & reaming for taper pins is not that difficult, Check out the Front Sight & Brake installation.
Its not exactly the same but is very similar to what needs to be done to install a new FSB on an AR15.

Drilling and reaming new parts is no big deal. If you are trying to drill new holes to match the holes/slots on your barrel is altogether another matter. Remember that your FSB has to end up nearly perfectly indexed on the barrel, or else you won't have enough windage adjust on your rear sight to make up for the cant of the FSB.

If I had to do this, I would fill the old holes/slots in the barrel with Devcon "A" metal, a very strong epoxy material with metal infused in the epoxy. I would then get a new, undrilled FSB and start the whole process from scratch. Oh, ya, almost forgot - you need a jig of some type to hold the FSB and barrel together, perfectly indexed so that you can drill and ream it as one unit. You would have to make that jig as well.

I read that thread and if it was that easy to get a canted FSB, and as easy as it was for him to fix it, I would have no confidence that the FSB will stay zero'd. AR's have taper pins, not straight pins, which add a little bit of difficulty to the process, but not too much. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:24:37 AM EST
I did some searching at lunch and found quite a bit of evidence supporting mongo001's description of the process. I broke down and bought a new 20 inch formerly "pre ban" heavy barrel from DPMS for 179$ shipped.

I figured I can just sell the new front sight on ebay and let the idiots fight for it.

Damn, all this freedom is getting expensive.

Top Top