Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2003 6:04:28 PM EDT
I am in the process of mountime a scope to my RRA AR-15 and I noticed that I'm going to have to remove the front sight in order to get a clear picture. I'm assuming that this can be done without damage to the rifle and the sight could be replaced in the future. Any instructions/ pics would be very helpful.
   Just as I was writing this I think I might have discovered a less invasive method. What if I removed the Tactical Carry handle and used a riser? That would give me plenty of clearance I think. Thoughts?

JIM
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]
If you plan on running both the scope and the handle sights, then leave the front sight alone.  For the most part, the front sight will just show up as a blur in the bottom of the scope picture.  

If you are only going to run the scope and not the rear sight, then just mill off the tower and leave the gas system on the barrel.  The milled area can be spot blasted and cold blued to look like the original parkerized finish.

If your intent is to install a gas block, the old sight tower is attached to the barrel by two taper pins. Once you drive out the pins the correct direction, the old tower will slide off the barrel, and the new gas block can be installed. You will reuse the gas tube, so all you would need to do is just buy a new gas block.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]
You do realize that the front sight is also the gas block and is needed for your rifle to function right?

Also, as dano said, the front sight will appear as a faint blur, and is normally not noticed by most users.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Just curious,
can one easily remove those tamper pins and uninstall that front sight? what kind of tools do you need?
I'm thinking about getting a red-dot scope for my flat-top, and i imagine the front sight would be in the line of sight...
In other words, can a front sight be removed, and replaced with a gas block by a non-professional, without permanent damage? How?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just curious,
can one easily remove those tamper pins and uninstall that front sight? w
View Quote

It can be done - but 'Easy' is not a word I'd use to describe the process.

Heck its not even taught to Army armorers and isn't covered in their repair manual.

I'm thinking about getting a red-dot scope for my flat-top, and i imagine the front sight would be in the line of sight...
View Quote

You'll never notice it (unless you're using an EO Tech).

In other words, can a front sight be removed, and replaced with a gas block by a non-professional, without permanent damage? How?
View Quote

Its possible, but not probable.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually you will see the FSB in your reddot but it won't be a problem as the reddot seems to float about the top of your front sight (cowitness).

Maybe Forrest had an unpleasant experience but i did not find removing the FSB to be a problem nor mounting a gas block for that matter assuming you don't have a permenantly attached muzzle thingy.  You: remove the gas tube retaining pin using a small punch, remove the gas tube and knock the taper pins out from the small end (the pins are tapered, i believe the small end is on your left sighting down the rifle) with a punch and small hammer.  Slide if off and your done.  TO put on the gas block you basically reverse the process except you have to line up the hole in the block with the hole in the barrel, not a biggy as there is margin for error, and tighten the blocks screws instead of using taper pins.  The whole thing can easily be reversed and the FSB put back on although you'll probably want to buy new taper pins and a taper pin punch to drive them back into the old FSB.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top