Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2007 11:28:14 AM EDT
I am going to build my first AR upper this week.  I have a few questions.

First off, I will be buying all the parts from CMMG (have bought complete uppers from them before and they are great to deal with).  What I am going for is the M4A1 look ala this:

Question...when buying the complete barrel from CMMG they have some options on FSB...an "F" marked FSB and a "standard" fsb.  Should I pick the standard since I am using an A1 receiver or just stick with the F marked one?  Why would it matter?  Oh and I did read the tutorials already I just need help on some small pointers.  

OK...the handguards I will be using are M4 double heat shield guards (from CMMG)...when ordering the CMMG complete barrel what handguard cap option should I go for?  They have 3 options I am interested in: round cap, m4 noctched cap and triangle?  I just want the M4 guards I already have to fit so I am guessing M4 notched but want to be sure.  

Tools.  It looks like all I will need is a bench with vise; action block; couple of punches with brass hammer; armorer's wrench; snap ring pliers for the delta set; and moly grease for the receiver threads.  Anything else you recommend?  Any suggestions on the bench and vise?  There is a Sears right up the road and I would like to get something decent (read: not too expensive or too cheap).

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#1]
F or Standard would be fine, but if you are not using a Flattop, might as well use the standard.

IMHO, for that type of build, the CAR hand guards would be more approperate.  When I first started I prefered the M4 type, now I prefer the CAR

You need round or round with notch.  If you ever plan of mounting a M203 on it, you need the notch, else round would be fine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 1:47:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  Hopefully my parts will be here by the end of the week and I can build this puppy Saturday.

Thank again.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top