Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/19/2003 3:25:53 AM EDT
I know this has probably been discussed time & time again.  However, search routine turns up nothing.

What tool are you guys using to adjust the front sight?  Tried a round.  It works ok, but awkward and leaves copper marks.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 4:04:03 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have the square cross-section front sight post, make a "little socket wrench" from the handle of an old tooth brush or even a small diameter wooden dowel about 3" long.
Cut the tool flat on one end, and drill a 1/16" hole about 3/4" deep down the center.  Then take a square swiss file and plung it repeatidly into the round hole you drilled until the round hole is square and big enough to engage the top half of the front sight post.  This re-shaping works best if the file is held in a bench vise and the tool is plunged onto it back and forth.
Then on the range all you need in addition is a small pointed thing to depress the detent.
With a front sight turner like this, you can also easily switch from one sight post to another in seconds.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 4:37:42 AM EDT
[#2]
The ready made round FS tools work ok but I found out that even the A2 tools have a round hole that sets down over the sight post and doesn't fit the square A2 sight posts very well. I drilled out the hole a little to fit over the A2 sight post and they work great now.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:12:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Been using a round. No problems, no copper. Always available.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top