Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2005 6:38:09 PM EDT
First off he paid 25.00 a piece for them back in june, they are black steel piece of crap mags but the funny thing is they have colt plates on the bottom, real friggin colt plates, how can cabellas sell these mags with colt plates on them?

putfile.com/pic.php?pic=12/34819060795.jpg&s=x11

putfile.com/pic.php?pic=12/34819060795.jpg&s=x11

putfile.com/pic.php?pic=12/34819080928.jpg&s=x11
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:17:09 AM EDT
[#1]
A pic would sure be nice.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:12:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Cabelas is not an AR store, there bread and butter is for hunters. I would not buy any AR type gear from there.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A pic would sure be nice.

ill see what i can do tonight
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I seen some of the mags you are talking about at a gunshow once.  Steel mags with a black/blued finish and Colt floorplates.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll bet the ones your friend bought aren't real colt floorplates, but are in fact USA Mag floorplates. Colt floorplates have the prancing pony logo and say Hartford, CT and the caliber (either .223 or 5.56) or something to that effect. There are a number of different versions.

The USA crap mags say:
     COLT AR-15
     Made in USA

Many people mistake this for a Colt floorplate and buy it thinking it is USGI and made by Colt. USA probably did this on purpose to confuse people and sell their crap..
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag for pics
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'll bet the ones your friend bought aren't real colt floorplates, but are in fact USA Mag floorplates. Colt floorplates have the prancing pony logo and say Hartford, CT and the caliber (either .223 or 5.56) or something to that effect. There are a number of different versions.

The USA crap mags say:
     COLT AR-15
     Made in USA

Many people mistake this for a Colt floorplate and buy it thinking it is USGI and made by Colt. USA probably did this on purpose to confuse people and sell their crap..

nope these have the colt prancing horse and all, when i get home tonight ill take some pics
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I seen some of the mags you are talking about at a gunshow once.  Steel mags with a black/blued finish and Colt floorplates.  

I can see buying them at a gunshow, but why the heck would cabellas do this?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I can see buying them at a gunshow, but why the heck would cabellas do this?

I've seen it at gunshows where the floorplates have been replaced with various makes besides Colt, but I agree, how could Cabella's do it, unless they got taken too.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Being that cabellas is a large mail order (hell, their stores are big too), they probably just bought a buch of lots of them from USA because they were cheap to get in.  They probably don't know anything about ar-15/care about ar-15 parts.  USA probably just stamped them that way to fool unsuspecting gun buyers who didn't know any better.  On the other hand, if cabellas did that on purpose/using it as advertising, then I am sorely dissapointed in a once interesting and pretty well stocked hunter's paradise.

$25 is more than double what a good USGI costs anyhow.....makes you wonder what cabellas is thinking (if they are, probably didn't put much thought into ar-15 mags when they have soooo many other items in their catalogue.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a 40 round AR15 magazine from Cabela's just for fun. It was marked Colt AR15 40 round magazine on the package. It was black, with green follower...not the milspec green follower, but a variation of the old follower dyed green. The magazine appears to be a loose copy of the Sterling AR180/AR15 magazine since it appeared to be notched for both guns. I don't have an AR180, so I don't know if it works or not....the magazine was too tall to lock up in my Armalite, so I didn't even get to prove that it was junk. I thought I could salvage the spring and follower to make a frankenmag but both are non standard and junky. The floor plate was blank, meaning it did not have a Colt logo floor plate. The package did say COLT AR15 40 round magazine, though. There are no markings of any kind of these magazines. especially Colt markings. Its possible that he or another switched the floorplates for some unknown reason, possibly to defraud the ignorant?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I bought a 40 round AR15 magazine from Cabela's just for fun. It was marked Colt AR15 40 round magazine on the package. It was black, with green follower...not the milspec green follower, but a variation of the old follower dyed green. The magazine appears to be a loose copy of the Sterling AR180/AR15 magazine since it appeared to be notched for both guns. I don't have an AR180, so I don't know if it works or not....the magazine was too tall to lock up in my Armalite, so I didn't even get to prove that it was junk. I thought I could salvage the spring and follower to make a frankenmag but both are non standard and junky. The floor plate was blank, meaning it did not have a Colt logo floor plate. The package did say COLT AR15 40 round magazine, though. There are no markings of any kind of these magazines. especially Colt markings. Its possible that he or another switched the floorplates for some unknown reason, possibly to defraud the ignorant?

thats a negative on him swithcing the floor plates, he is a fellow officer and has no clue what he has.  When i get a chance to take pics, (supposed to last night but didnt) ill show you. they are original Colt floorplates.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#13]
tagged out of idle curiousity....

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Return them. They will take it back and find out why they have Colt plates on them.
Last time I bought mags from them, they were NHTMG mags. I don't pay retail
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#15]
PHOTOS ARE NOW ADDED IN ORIGINAL POST!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the pics!

They sure ain't like none of the USA Mags I've seen, for 2 reasons. The USA Brand mags I've seen have a round hole near the mag catch slot. Also, the USA Mags only have around 5 (or so) weld spots. From what I can make out, it appears that those mags have about 9 welds. So, it doesn't appear to be a USA mag with replaced floorplates. I don't know what to tell you beyond that.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#17]
any date codes or cage codes on them???
definetly edon't look like USA mags.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#18]
i am relatively new to all the finer points of the ar15 world, so please bear with me. are steel mags not good, or was it just that your friend got CRAPPY steel mags. i know of the mag topic on this website, and plan to buy some USGI mags in the near future, but was just wondering about the steel mag question....
also, where are good place to get mags?

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Hmmm.... Taiwanese mags with a colt licenced floorplate?

Supposedly these mags are built to colt standards and design, just out of steel instead of aluminum.

They are supposed to be mil-spec.... for Taiwan :)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
any date codes or cage codes on them???
definetly edon't look like USA mags.

No just plain ol steel mags no markings , just colt floor plates, I just dont understand how cabellas would ship these like that or how they got em.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep, saw those exact kind at a gunshow.  My guess is they are Taiwanese or something with Colt floorplates.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:43:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Yep, saw those exact kind at a gunshow.  My guess is they are Taiwanese or something with Colt floorplates.  

ya but the kicker is, these are not gunshow specials. these are cabellas. 25.00 a pop back in june. my friend ordered them online from cabellas.  Little too late to return them i imagine.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ya but the kicker is, these are not gunshow specials. these are cabellas. 25.00 a pop back in june. my friend ordered them online from cabellas.  Little too late to return them i imagine.  

never too late to return them. Cabelas has a very liberal return policy and if the product is fishy they will take it back
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Know what the stock numbers is? I would like to get a couple just because.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

what for??
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I've seen those ads, they typically say COLT AR15 MARKED MAGS - they could always claim that it denotes the weapon the mags are for, and your friend is SOL......
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what for??

I would like to have a steel factory mag with a Colt base plate. Cabelas has more than one brand of AR mag and with out the correct stock number I might get the Western metal or the Triple K ones they sell.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh I know, that's what is so shitty about it.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#29]
couple of years ago, I bought one 40 rd'er from Cabela's. it was crap. fit very tight. fired one mag full out of it. took it back. full refund. always keep your reciept...
black steel with funky green follower.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top