Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/12/2005 8:21:00 AM EDT
I'm a noob on this subject about the differences and I'm just starting to learn about it. I'm interested in getting one for my M4 and I noticed some are just drop-in replacements and others require you changing the delta ring I believe? Looks like YHM has the best bang for the buck, what do you think?

Here are two that I like. Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#1]
You probably wont be able to install a FF (free floating) tube yourself. I havent heard of anyone having problems with the 2 piece 4 rail handguards as long as they are aluminum and not plastic. Lets see... Yeah I think thats about it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
YHM stuff is nice

the 2 piece is the easiest to install and sturdy

here are
'how-to' instuctions for installing FF:www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=201469
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got the YHM ligt weight free float tube on mine.  I'm not ashamed to say that I did it more for looks than for any enhanced performance (like spoilers on a car).  The delta ring will just come off once you get the barrel nut off.  However you do need to remove the front sight tower along iwth any muzzle devices before you can slide everything off the barrel. Once everything is off, replacing the barrel nut with the FF tube is a breeze.  It's all not a big deal if you got the right tools and guts to do it your self the first time.  If all you want is a railed forend and intend to keep your front sight tower, just replacing the hand guards is the way to go.

<MORE>
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#4]
As long as you have the tools,  it won't be a problem at all to put a FF tube on.  Also, you don't have to change your front sight housing if you do add the  FF tube, you can just put your original one back on.  If you don't have the tools, and don't want to get them, you might just go w/ the replacement handguards, since you won't need any special tools.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Dragonfly,

What grip do you have on your rifle, is it an Ergo Grip?  

Thanks,

77Bronc
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow thanks, but is there a cooling issue with the free floats versus the non? Because I was thinking after a few mags it would get hot because of the aluminum?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is a simple answer to your problem. The Samson MRFS. Read my review HERE
I cut my Delta ring and springs off with a dremmel and had it mounted in about 30 min. It sure beats the hell out of removing the barrel or FSB. And it's free float as well.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Dragonfly,

What grip do you have on your rifle, is it an Ergo Grip?  

Thanks,

77Bronc

thats the fobus g27 grip.
the free float isnt that hard to isnstall using the resources you have here and a few tools its not bad and it turns out great.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#9]
The SIR systems like their Free Float #50C, do not need you to even remove the Delta ring. About a 5 minute instalation.
Jack
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The SIR systems like their Free Float #50C, do not need you to even remove the Delta ring. About a 5 minute instalation.
Jack

The SIR systems are great, but you would be hard pressed to convince me that not removing the Delta ring is worth the extra expense and weight.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top