Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 12:26:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 5:51:10 PM EST by jeff_d]
When I had my AR built I requested regular Mil-Spec carbine handgaurds. The guy, for whatever reason, built it with a plain, fluted free float tube. He didn't charge me any extra for it, maybe he thought he was doing me a favor. Anyway, I was fine with it at the time, so I didn't complain and can't blame him.

Well, i've got it in the shop and they're swapping out the front sight block for one with a baynet lug, flash supressor, etc. Should I have the handgaurds swapped while it's in there? I know the freefloat is supposed to improve accuracy, but it's just a 16" carbine and I've never shot it with a sling. I feel kind of dumb swapping performance for looks, but I really want my AR to look "mean" instead of like a target rifle.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't mind having one of those predator type freefloat gaurds, but those are a lot of $$$.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:56:01 PM EST
The M4 handguards definitely look more "mean" than the f.f. ones you now have on yours. If you want the best of both worlds, I'd suggest looking into the Troy Industries CQB quad rail handguards. These mount to the delta ring area securely and in essence, free float the barrel. They also allow for the mounting of accessories on the left, right, top, and bottom of the rail in the same fashion as the RIS/RAS. I have these on my M4gery, and they are the cat's ass! Do a search on this site for Troy handguards or Troy Industries and you'll see what I'm talking about. Good luck with whatever you choose. Cloak-
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:31:31 PM EST
OlyArms FIRSH. It is a free floated 4-rail system that is also one of the lightest available. You have the option of using grips, lights, and optics, as well as "looking mean." The FIRSH is only $100.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:17:22 PM EST
YHM is good, too. I have one on my M4 w/14.5" barrel (Phantom FS brings it out to the legal 16"). BTW, the YHM is around $100 or less, too.

Top Top