Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2003 6:57:04 PM EDT
Could someone tell me exactly what I have to do in order to install an Olympics Arms F8A, Carbine length Aluminum Handguard or BUshmaster V Match Aluminum handguard?  I understand that you take of the front site base, but what else do I need to do? Also has anybody tried the Badger Stabilizer Handguard  from JT or Fulton Armory?  How would it install?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Ask Fenian!
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=163613[/url]

I am interested in this, too. It appears that the first decision point is "can you get the barrel off without a dremel tool?"

If not, things get interesting. As you can read.

Pete
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#2]
You do not need to remove the barrel to install an F8A, or the new FIRSH F8R rail model. You do however have to remove the barrel NUT. To perform this required function, one must (of course) remove everything in front of the barrel nut such as the front sight base assembly, and any flah hider or muzzle brake that has a diameter that is larger than .728" or the interior diameter of the barrel nut.

If you can drive a nail, and screw in a light-bulb you too can perform this task.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#3]
so I take it that the barrel nut is difficult to take off? how would I do that?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:22:12 AM EDT
[#4]
If your barrel was installed correctly (with anti-seize grease on the threads), place the upper receiver in a vise holder device and unscrew the right handed threaded barrel nut with the appropriate wrench. Don't waste your money on a barrel holding device (they slip). If the barrel nut won't release,soak it overnight with penetrating oil and try again. If it still won't release, use an old fashioned large pipe wrench (monkey wrench) with a cheater bar or CAREFULLY cut the nut with a Dremel without cutting the upper receiver threads. In most cases, you won't have a problem removing the barrel nut UNLESS it was installed by a beginner that didn't read the book.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top