Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2007 5:20:32 AM EDT
Who can tell me the pros/cons of free float rails?  Interested in buying the Larue 6" rails.  I will not be mounting any lasers or optics on the rails, just a grip and light.  Wondering if theyre worth the money...
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:23:59 AM EDT
[#1]
make that the 7" inch rails  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:39:33 AM EDT
[#2]
The advantages of a freefloat rail system are that they remove extra pressure input on the barrel, and allow for mounting accessories.  This is mostly useful for precision shooting.

If a light and grip are all that are to be mounted a non-freefloating rail system would work just as well. If sights are to be mounted a free float system may be prefered.

LaRue is known for making top of the line stuff for AR platfrom rifles.  Other respected manufacturers are Daniel Defense,  Troy, and Knights Manufacturing.  Others who are functional but do not seem to have the same following are MI, and YHM.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#3]
FF rails are kind of like pencil's, they all pretty much do and preform the same way with the exception of a few. The LaRue system "probably" locks up the tightest being it is a one piece system. However your not mounting an optic so I would recommend the MI FF rails.  

Pros: Slightly Improves Accuracy (gives the user the ability to add accessories)
Cons: Adds weight to the rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top