Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/19/2003 11:15:52 AM EDT
What is the  procedure to instal an aluminum freefloat hanguard on my A2 upper?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Pull the barrel, then pull the front sight tower to remove the barrel nut off the barrel.  

Slip the bare barrel back in the upper receiver socket, install the tube barrel nut(index to allow the tube to go threw), then the  float tube, then the front sight tower, and gas tube.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:43:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I am interested in doing this also, on my Colt Comp Match HBAR.  I am a rookie, and that sounds too simple! :)  Is there a detailed link, maybe with pictures, to refer to?  Special tools needed?  I have searched the web but probably not well enough. Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:35:27 AM EDT
[#3]
It's not that simple. The Gas block can be a pain. and so can the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#4]
it is pretty simple.  just make sure the handgaurd is short enough to fit the site back on and tall enough to cover the gas tube.  when putting the new barrel nut on, line up one of the holes to the hole for gas tube in the receiver.  and it might be easier to leave gas tube in the site when remounting.  just one question though, why??  its not my rifle but my opinion is this will not look good.  save up and buy a nice bull barrel and get rid of the front site.  but thats my opinion.  if ya need any other help feel free to email at   [email protected]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the reply, and more detailed explanation. From what I hear there is more accuracy potential with a float tube than the current handguards. I can't afford a whole new upper, and not sure what it takes to replace a barrel (let alone do the float tube).  I have seen some nice looking options, so I hope it won't hurt aesthetically. A fairly simple project like this might cause me to catch the AR upgrade bug, and learn a little more about my Colts in the process.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a few pictures of the process if you have a specific step you want a picture on.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top