Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/17/2005 5:57:11 AM EDT
I posted a similar question in the armory, but it got little traffic. So I apologize in advance if you have already seen this, but....

How much does free floating a barrell really affect accuracy?

I am interested in doing a build one day with a 20" barrell, a nice bipod, and a nice scope. Nothing fancy, just something I can reach out there and take some longer shots with for fun.

I want a railed forearm for the bipod and for the looks of it, but I was wondering if I needed to go with a FF forearm since I'll be using a bipod.

I won't be trying to get olympic qualifying groups or anything, but I do want it to be accurate enough to have fun.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:07:30 AM EDT
I floated my 20" and went from a little over 2 MOA to a little under 1 MOA. Of course I installed a two stage target trigger at the same time, so it is difficult to say how much I gained from just the float.

There a many ways to go about it and you do not necessarily have to put a railed forearm on to use a bipod.

Look at the tacked thread in the rifles, uppers, lowers, barrels and more forum. It will probably answer most of your questions.

Seydou
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:11:42 PM EDT
Floating certianly won't hurt, and you will very likely see your group tighten up. Flexing the barrel from sling/bipod/support contact can made a difference. You can get float tubes relatively cheaply, so why not do it.
Top Top