Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 10:50:31 PM EDT
I suspect this has been answered a million trillion times before... apologies in advance. I want to disassemble an upper built with one of these pistol FF forends:

I realize the FSB will have to come off first (remove FH, drive the pins out of FSB, then tap off with a rubber hammer along with gas tube). After that, does the tubular part of the FF forend come off the barrel nut (say, with a strap wrench), or is the whole FF tube a one-piece assembly that comes off with a barrel wrench engaged in the barrel nut holes ? Any disassembly tips ?

When reassembling, should I Loctite the FF tube in place or lube with moly grease like a regular barrel nut?

Once again, sorry for what I'm sure is a common question.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#1]
use a strap wrench and loc-tite if you feel the need
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#2]
So, is this a 2-piece or a 1-piece unit ?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#3]
usually a two piece if the barrel nut counts as one

but if its a one piece it would be taken off the same way and installed with moly
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks... I'll twist on it with a strap wrench and see what comes off .
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]
go to Search,  type in a Keyword of  free float, for Field, search in
Subject, for Board  pull down the AR15 forum,  search as far back as your membership
allows. There's an absolute gold mine of free float how-to's.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
go to Search,  type in a Keyword of  free float, for Field, search in
Subject, for Board  pull down the AR15 forum,  search as far back as your membership
allows. There's an absolute gold mine of free float how-to's.

Being a veteran ARCOMmer, this is the first place I went. However, most all of the content was oriented towards the various "rail" type tubes, rather than the older/simpler units like mine. I was hoping someone could give me a clear and definitive answer as to whether the pistol tube shown above is a 2-piece that will come apart, or a 1-piece... preferably BEFORE I started wrenching on it. I guess nobody here uses these plain vanilla FF tubes anymore .
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Two pieces.   Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Perfect... I like simple answers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top