Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/20/2008 8:40:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/20/2008 9:15:08 AM EST by deputy83]
I have seen some with a barrel nut and some with a barrel nut and lock nut/jam nut. Do the free floaters have to have a jam nut? Will the handguard try to spin off without one? Also Oly arms makes a free floater for a carbine...Will these fit other ARs or are the brand specific? Also if I were to buy an aluminum free floater....can I easily drill a hole and install a sling swivel or picatinny rail?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:59:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/20/2008 9:01:37 AM EST by HEATH223]
The Olympic tube should fit any upper that is in spec. and there are many different types of FF rails out there that use diferent mounting meathods, 1 peice that is all in one peice, 2 peice that locks your barrel down then the HG screws on that, 3 peice 1 locks your barrel down a locking nut and then your HG and then you have a few more that I have not used but are 3 peices or more. none should spin off if properly installed your gas tube would also prevent that somewhat.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 9:18:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/22/2008 2:15:26 PM EST by Roughneck-2zero]
I have a YankeeHill, but customized it to butt up against the upper without the jamb nut. Giving it a top monorail. I just ran the barrel nut into the tube, then ran it out 1 turn, then marked it and milled it off there. Theorecially it could rotate off, but the last half turn is pretty hard.
Not a hi quality pic but you can see it.

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 12:28:58 PM EST
Here's a Hogue 2-piece:

Here's an Armalite 3-piece:

Here's a JP 2-piece:

Here's a Hiperform Carbon 1-piece:

Top Top