Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/3/2002 6:17:57 PM EDT
I was wondering exactly what it takes to install a free float handguard or a RAS type handguard.  Do I need to pull my sight post all the way off or can I install the tube from the breach side of the barrel?  I have a post ban converted SP1 upper with no lug and a  chopped down barrel with a perm attached break giving me 16 inches.  I can't tell how the break has been attached and thus can't remove it, I can pull the sight post far enough forward to remove the gas tube, so I can pull the barrel pretty easily.  Any info on this would be appreciated.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Here is a description on how to do it for Olympic Arms FIRSH:

[url]http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/Olympic/how_to_install_FIRSH.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:42:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I appreciate the info....so it looks like I'm gonna have to figure out how to remove my break....I sent a M.O. out to you today for the barrel wrench, so you should see it around Friday.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I appreciate the info....so it looks like I'm gonna have to figure out how to remove my break....I sent a M.O. out to you today for the barrel wrench, so you should see it around Friday.
View Quote

First figure out how it is attached.  Who is the manufacturer is a good starting point.

You will see them blind pinned, welded at 4 points or 180 degrees, silver soldered or possibly a mixture of the above.

Once you know which, you can then work on it.  Blind pinned is usually welded and finished, so look closely.

We will ship your wrench as soon as we get payment.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 7:34:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't find any pins anywhere.  They would have had to pin, fill the holes, sand and refinish if it is pinned.  It almost looks like it was threaded on, but I haven't been able to  get it loose.  I'm going to clamp the barrel in a vice, apply a little heat with a propane torch, and try and twist it off.  For all I know it could be threaded and I was just told wrong.  If I still have no luck I'll try and take some pics, if you wouldn't mind looking at them.   It definately hasn't been welded, and if it was silver soldered they did a good job and removed ALL excess around the base of the break, only thing that could be left would be between the barrel and break.  Thanks for all your help.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#5]
budam

How does Rock River Arms usually attach their muzzle breaks?  Have you had any dealings with them?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How does Rock River Arms usually attach their muzzle breaks?  Have you had any dealings with them?  Thanks.
View Quote

I have not delt with one of their uppers personally.

Anyone know?  Pete?
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:41:31 AM EDT
[#7]
How big is your muzzle brake? Won't the barrel nut fit over it?
-Ray
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top